Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a KDL-60ex500 that will not cut on. I am getting 6 blinks

Customer Question

I have a KDL-60ex500 that will not cut on. I am getting 6 blinks on the red standby led. I have replaced all 4 power inverter boards and still have 6 blinks and will not power on. I also hear a click when the power button is mashed and the like 2 seconds later another click. 2 of the clips that are on the s1 an s2 side are of burnt discoloration. Any ideas on what to check meter wise or anything thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Can you please check volts on power supply board that go to inverter boards?These volts may appear for a second when turn On the TV.Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes which pin do I test?
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Need to test 24V output that goes to inverter boards, volts would be stamped on connectors of power supply board.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have checked the output for both sides all are 24v for about a sec
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Are the inverter boards connected to power board for this test?If not, please connect them and again check 24V output.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked each pin on the power supply board that would be going to the power inverters. They were labeled unreg24v next to each pin. The dimmer pin read 2.3v and the bl_err = 2.072v. Bl_on 310.v. NC nothing
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
I understand, did you get my last info-request?If not, here it is again..Are the inverter boards connected to power board for this test?If not, please connect them and again check 24V output.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I need to check voltage on the inverter boards from the soldered joint where they are plugged in at from the powerboard?
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
No, insert meter red prob into hole to touch the metal part of pin where wire goes into connector on power board coming from inverter board to read the volts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes they all read 24v for about a sec when power button mashed
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Black prob to the gnd terminal correct
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Correct and thanks for the info.Error code 6 blinks indicates problem with backlight, inverter boards are getting volts and all inverter boards have already been replaced, TV should work.Does the screen lit/ glow for a moment when turn On TV power?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it does not. 1 tab on each board the s1 an s2 were black on the old boards. Are the little white black tabs replaceable that the power inverter boards plug into?
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
ah OK, that would be the reason of trouble. Tab holder still would have carbon inside and causing the short to high volts coming from inverter board OR the CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp) inside LCD panel (it glows and generate the light) is bad and activating protection circuit that gives 6 blinks error code.Please check that particular tab holder and clean it with q-tip dip in alcohol to remove carbon stains/ burnt marks to see if it helps OR you would need to take apart LCD panel which is highly risky work and I'm unable to assist you through internet for that so do it at your own risk if you wish to do.Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
By the way, thanks for sharing the picture that helped a lot to solve the mystery.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So are the individual white tab pieces that the inverter board connects to replaceable individually or are they all 1 part of the ccfl
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
I'm afraid white tab holders are part of LCD panel and not available separately unless you get a similar broken LCD panel to take them out.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!Please reply back here if there is additional questions.Thank you.