Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I've installed 2 Ematic AT103B units and neither will pick

Customer Question

I've installed 2 Ematic AT103B units and neither will pick up all the available channels in the area.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When doing an automatic channel search, most of my main local channels do not get included, CBS, NBC and Fox are the main missing stations
JA: Anything else I can tell the TV Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: These are both brand new out of the box units just received via US mail today
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Do you pickup any channels after doing a scan? Also, what type of antenna are you using?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It picked up about 3 stations with multiple channels on each. I'm using an outdoor antenna which has always provided high quality HDTV connections
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried doing auto channel selection several times with consistent results. The first time it finds channels 3-1 and 3-2 but both are highly pixilated and the sound intermittent. The next try skipped both channels 3 and picked up multiple channels 4, skipped NBC channel 10, got multiple channels 13, skipped PBS channel 15 and picked up multiple channels 21. Each additional attempt repeated those 2 cycles.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No attempt picked up local channels 27, 33 43 and 49, most of which have multiple versions on our primary TV utilizing the same antenna.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Is the antenna directional by chance? There could be several reasons for what you are seeing. Distance from the transmitter site, antenna gain, and the sensitivity of the digital tuner of the TV just to name a few.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All the towers are in the same general location. The antenna has been aimed correctly for years.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
What type of cable are you using from the antenna to the TV and have you checked it lately?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Are both TV's sharing the antenna?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
I presume you are using a splitter to connect both to the one antenna? If so, try connecting directly to one TV straight from the antenna to see if that will boost the signal and re-scan.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did as you asked and it mad no difference. The users manual gave a lot of details about updating firmware but no where does it mention where to find the updates. Could that be the problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
A firmware update shouldn't cause any change in your outcome unless there was a problem with the tuning circuit to begin with? I will try to do more research on your model to see what I can find.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
In the setup, have you checked to make sure Antenna Power is turned on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.