Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a green screen on my tv

Customer Question

Hi I have a green screen on my tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, What is the model number of the TV in question please (it's on a sticker on the back)? I also need to know what is connected to the set that is giving you the green screen (ex: Cable box using HDMI, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toshiba 28N33B ......sky TVs box is connected
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and is it using HDMI please? HDMI is a common cause of this. Let me know that. As well, if you grab the original Toshiba remote- press MENU, will the MENU display?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an old TV I can press menu. Menu appears
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Reboot your Sky box by removing the power cord from the wall for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Let me know if the screen changes when you pull the cord. Also once it reboots let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not using hdmi
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes okay. Please follow the steps above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen does not change when you pull the cord it is still green
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your TV's Mainboard may have failed- since it's not processing the external Input from the Sky box. Please unplug the TV, then press and hold the power button on the set itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug the TV back in and power it up. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you having the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all that it is still green screen
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure it's on the correct Input setting? Can you use the MENU button on the TV and check the Input? I have no way of knowing what cable your Sky box is using (I had asked that), but if you're plugged into the coaxial port (for example) and set to the AV Input you will not have any picture and a blue or green screen. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The input setting is either TV or AV-1 which should it be
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid there's no way around it- the TV has a hardware failure causing the issue. If it's on the correct Input there are no other settings/adjustments that will cause/prevent a green screen. It's inherent to the TV's Main board which is the AV processing board. To fix this requires that board be replaced. Given the age of the set and the fact that a brand new 28" LED set can be purchased for the same price as repairs it does not make sense to pursue fixing the set I'm afraid. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is old toshiba tv there is no remote control
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand what the set is. It's an old 28" CRT Tube TV and it's Mainboard has failed as I indicated above. Please scroll up the page to read that last reply.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid there's no way around it- the TV has a hardware failure causing the issue. If it's on the correct Input there are no other settings/adjustments that will cause/prevent a green screen. It's inherent to the TV's Main board which is the AV processing board. To fix this requires that board be replaced. Given the age of the set and the fact that a brand new 28" LED set can be purchased for the same price as repairs it does not make sense to pursue fixing the set I'm afraid. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help bye
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.