Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I'm finished doing a channel autoscan, and now I get a grey

Customer Question

I'm finished doing a channel autoscan, and now I get a grey box with "please run channel autoscan" and I hit the enter key, and nothing happens. I can't find my westinghouse remote control manual. I even shut the tv off and on and it still pops up. Please help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello, In most cases if you were using the set before, and the Auto Scan message comes up- you will NOT do an auto scan but will instead change the INPUT the TV is set to. So, please tell me- WERE you watching this TV before- with no changes in connections? Also, how do you receive broadcasts on the set- through a cable box? What is the model number off the back of the TV (not the remote)?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Please send a quick reply so that I know you're there- I'm here to help you.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. If you'd like to continue, please reply back on this page. I will need the specifics above whether we were on the phone or typing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have inside antenna and lost a few channels, so I was doing autoscan, the model is DW37H1G1
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Okay that is very bad news then, since if you are using an antenna and the TV is asking you to scan again- this indicates a fault in the TV itself- which is common to this set. All you can try on a user level is to do a hard reboot of the TV. 1) Disconnect the set form power then remove the antenna connection from the TV. 2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. 3) Plug the antenna back into the TV and make sure its power supply adapter (if applicable) is also plugged in. 4) Turn the TV on and make sure you have ANTENNA- and not CABLE selected then try the scan again. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Are you still having the same problem please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just did all this and the grey box with same message still comes up.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Did you make sure the TV was set to ANT and not Cable?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately if SO, then this means that either your TV's tuner or the Antenna itself has failed- and we have no way to isolate between the two without trying the antenna on another TV, or purchasing another antenna and connecting that to this TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no it was not set to cable. I was watching tv earlier and a few channels came in except for a couple. so I tried the auto scan and now its stuck.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
U read the reply where you ran another scan and here's the thing- IF it is not picking up channels now then the issue is the TV's tuner has failed or the antenna has failed, there's no two ways around it I'm afraid.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Do you have another TV you can connect this antenna to as a test? It's not uncommon for the TV's tuner to fail- with simply the auto scan as a catalyst, but we need to be able to rule out the antenna first. This unfortunately is the only way we can troubleshoot this issue further. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
since we're not getting this resolved, please do not charge me.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
I have nothing to do with billing I will opt out- good luck.