Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Directions to connect my Phillips DVP 3982 to my Westinghouse

Customer Question

Directions to connect my Phillips DVP 3982 to my Westinghouse tv VR-3235?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Just need to connect DVDs player to tv
JA: Anything else I can tell the TV Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: TV is a Westinghouse VR-3235
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: DVD player is a Phillips DVP 3982
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. The best and easiest option here is to use a hdmi cable. You'll need to purchase one (they are not included with your devices. Available anywhere that sells electronics (target, best buy, walmart, staples, even home depot) or online: Plug that into the HDMI OUT port on the back of the dvd player (there is only 1) and the other end to an available hdmi port on the tv, such as hdmi2 for example. Then use the westinghouse tv remote, pressing the input/source button repeatedly to get to the HDMI2 input mode, and you'll be on the dvd signal. From there use the philips remote for play/stop/etc. Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Nathan - I'm using a RCA and not the HDMI cord
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
HDMI would be the preferred method, it gives better video and audio quality. A hdmi cable is only about $5. You can use the rca though, but which do you have? Component or composite?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
RCA idk what component or composite means?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
RCA is the type of connector.Composite is red, white, and yellow.Component is red, green, blue + red/white.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Okay, the ports are all color coded.On the back of the philips, when facing it from the rear, plug the yellow cord to the yellow port, toward the left side. Plug the red and white to the red/white ports on the right. On the tv end, match up those same colors to the ports on the SIDE (not back) of the tv, which are labeled as AV. Then use the INPUT button on the tv remote (just above the channel buttons), to get to the AV input mode.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have the DVD player plugged correctly , Westinghouse VR-3235 does not have side access to plug in. Just back access. Sent a pic of back
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
No picture is showing here, sorry. The ports are in a vertical row. All you have to do is find the red/white/yellow grouping of the, which are labeled as AV, and plug the cords in there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All ports are on back of tv and run horizontally
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
There is another set, to the right of the others, which is the one I am asking you to use. Again, it is the only set of red/white/yellow, and is labeled as AV. Do you perhaps have something else plugged into that set already?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Please view the below diagram I've attached. Yellow port goes to item number 11, red/white to number 12
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The diagram is not our tv
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Westinghouse VR-3235
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
There have been 2 different versions of your model over the years.The first I sent is direct from the manual. So you must have the older version.Use this diagram instead:Port 7 is for the yellow/video, port 8 is the red/white rca audioStill choosing the AV input mode.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Were you able to get it connected?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Nathan - I was able to connect everything with the help of my son
Through phone pictures. My pictures were not showing up through this system. Our television was not the one matching your diagram or even close so i tried to follow the red white yellow. We ended up using the AV2 source & it displayed. Thanks for your patience
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
I did send the 2nd set of photos that matches yours, and av2 is what I was directing you to. I'm glad that you were able to follow along with that.If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service today; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan. Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need any more help with this, or is everything working well for you now/still?