Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have an aprox 10 yr old DVD player SD-3980. Had not used in

Customer Question

Have an aprox 10 yr old DVD player SD-3980. Had not used in about 2 months and now no matter what disc I put in it reads: Incorrect disc. Help can this be fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).I would suggest first following the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers). Open the CD cover, then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "laser lens". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to gently buff the lens clean.If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced- which is on average a $200 repair, which is not typically cost effective.Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?