Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

We are in Canada and have a Sharp Aquos LC 60E88UN TV. Last

Customer Question

We are in Canada and have a Sharp Aquos LC 60E88UN TV.
Last year we put the update in for the firmware and I believe it was USA only.
We tried to factory rest but firmware, of course, remains the same.
How can I get our TV back to the original Canadian firmware?
This has taken away our digital audio options.
Thank you in advance for your input.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;First thing I must say that I am a Canadian tech. and there are no difference in the model and/or firmware upgrade and it certainly would not affect the TV's audioAre you having problems with the TV's optical port ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will put you to my husband Ken. Thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
No problem , just let me know what seems to be the issue and we`ll troubleshoot this if necessary
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Are you trying to get sound out of the TV's optical port ?Lost the TV's audio perhaps ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My husband is calling Sharp on Monday because the update caused the issue. The TV we own isn't listed with Sharp Canada although we bought it in Canada.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
o,k then if it is under warranty then by all means go ahead
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
As it was made in 2011 though I would be surprised if sharp would or could do anything about this beside sending you to a repair shop
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
good luck and let me know if you need help with that , I will be out now for dinner
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not under warranty anymore. But used to have 3 options under audio (audio setup, identification and software update) now all we have is software update so we can't even tell what firmware version is there.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Sorry but beside talking about firmware you still haven`t told me what the actual problem is although i did ask 3 timesSo unless you tell me that then i cant help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have a great dinner. I will go get ours as well.
The actual problem is: no audio return channel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The TV was bought in July 2010.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
I`m back ,You are saying that nothing was changed either with the equipment added/removed etc. and the wiring is the same as it was and this used to work or you are trying to set it up now ?That is the correct model number you gave me , yes ?
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
That is the correct model number you gave me , yes ?We are talking about ARC (audio return channel) , is that correct ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model number is ***** off side of TV. And we bought it then moved two months later. All was working fine here and stopped around time of firmware change.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have checked the AVR and settings seem correct there also.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
O.k then perhaps but we are certainly not talking about ARC , this tv is not ARC capable , if it was then there would be one HDMI port that would have ARC printed next to it , most often HDMI 2 port and yours doesn`t and the manual doesn't talk about ARC either so you have another mean of connecting it to your AVR .How is it connected to the AVR ??who by the way is new here but then I suspected there was a sound system .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes Audio Return Channel, I said AVR meaning receiver.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Perhaps you know about ARC but your tv is NOT capable of it so that is not your connectionTell me everything you have here , cable box ,dvd, games etc. and the model number of the AVR and I`ll tell you how to make this work
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ken (Hubby) understands how it is all supposed to work. Can't figure out why it won't now. So asking expert advise. So I am the tpypist in-between.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
I`m sorry but this is not gonna work so i will have to opt out now.You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
*Typist. Lol or I thought
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Looks like no one came forward and I`m willing to give this another shot but unlike yesterday where I simply could not have a shot at it because of missing info , today I need the model numbers of the equipment and what is exactly the problem ,like who or what doesn`t have sound so I can troubleshoot this like a normal problem . Never mind the firmware or audio return channel that doesn`t exist on this tv , those are totally redundant,useless and would just muddy the whole thing like it did yesterday so if you wish to proceed let me know ?