Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have 55" Samsung TV; cannot get TV picture or sound; can, however,

Customer Question

have 55" Samsung TV; cannot get TV picture or sound; can, however, by pressing on a knob in the bask of the picture frame get NetFlick and other Movie outlets. I have no idea of where to begin. Help
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.1- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back of TV?2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
AH6Z3CHPT01688N Unsure how to answer 2nd Q as I am a real amateur. The cable comes into a two way splitter. One side is connected a Cisco 4742 HDC something or other, which sits on a LG Blue Ray 3D for a Smart TV, which receives multiple wires. The other side of the splitter leads to an Arries. I add that we have had problems with remote controls since buying the TV, whether it be with ATT or TWC.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the info.Do you use cable remote to change the channels on TV?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Before committing more money without a clue as to how well this will work, let's see how we do.An additional comment is we have 3 TWC remotes, only one of which has given good service.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
OK, it seems either TV isn't set on correct video input source to get cable box video-audio signals OR cable box isn't sending out video-audio signal to TV for some internal issue.Lets try easy thing first, unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check. If still no picture appears on TV then press Source button on Samsung remote or Input button on TV itself to change input source as TV has different video inputs so you would need to press Source/ Input button a few times to go through video input sources as one will show you cable box picture on TV.Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, Let me add more mystery. We turned it on with the TWC remote, changed channels with a Cisco remote and changed volume with the TWC. In another room we have a smaller Samsung. The same Cisco remote does it all.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
This is odd, have you tried what I requested in previous reply?Also, do you get cable channel picture on this TV now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Say what?? When was that? and, What TV show? Let's get back on track as the previous is a bit disconcerting.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
OK, can you try unplugging TV and cable box power cords now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll get right with it.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
OK, please reply back with the result.Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The TV is across two rooms form the computer. Sorry about taking too much time. Everything is unpluged.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
OK, sorry about trouble to go back and forth in rooms, let see if that procedure works.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The screen lit up from the use of the TWC remote.It gives me a message "Your TV will be right with you" I'm afraid it needs reprogramming. All of a sudden the TV sound came on. Let me get back to it
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
OK, so you get sound in TV, how about the picture of cable channels?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It works as well as it did before. I wish it did better but it sure beats not working for TV. thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me try it
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.
OK, I need to go offline now so let me repost this question and hopefully another expert will soon respond to assist you further, if needed, OR we will continue it after few hours.Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Shahid has left the conversation. I'm following up where he left off. Do you have your cable picture back along with the sound please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, cable works. I was having much trouble turning it on let me fool with that. Am having to play with it to get it to turn on to TV channels. That's like it was before crashing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It at least only requires one remote.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I do
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. This is generally caused by an HDMI cable communication issue- when the picture and/or sound take a bit to come up. This is somewhat common and caused by the boxes that these companies use these days. I would suggest trying another HDMI cable (available at Best Buy, Wal Mart or Radio Shack for around $15) and if that fails ultimately have the cable provider swap the box out.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?