Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have an LG 50PZ570 tv , it powers up , but thre is no

Customer Question

Hi , i have an LG 50PZ570 tv , it powers up , but thre is no sound or picture, however the screen very faintly lights up , then fades to black
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Nathan , i am a communications tech , but not familiar with TV , however , i am not shy to remove back , and replace boards and components as required , i was thinking of replacing power supply , do you think this may be the problem ? regards Bill
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Not likely, no. If the screen is priming it is more likely the y or zsus board.Do you ever get sound? Or can you bring up any menus at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi , no sound or menus
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Look for the larger boards on the left and right side (not the main/input board or the power board), and check the ceramic fuses there for continuity to see if any of them are bad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you , i must go to work now , but i will check tomorrow and get back to you , do fuses have to out of circuit |?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
You're just testing for continuity from one end of fuse to the other to see if they have blown, that is all that is needed for now. Power disconnected.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello again Nathan , i have checked fuses and they are all ok , i have also followed the following procedure with no result ....
If Your Plasma TV Has No Picture and No Sound:Here are the steps you need to take in order to troubleshoot your malfunctioning plasma TV.Turn off the TV and unplug it from the wall.
Wait 5 minutes so that the capacitors are discharged.
Unplug the connector going into the Z-sustain and then plug the TV back in.
Check for sound. If there’s sound, then the problem is with the Z-sustain. If not, then:
Unplug the TV and wait another 5 minutes. Then disconnect the Y-sustain and re-connect the Z-sustain.
Plug the TV back in and check for sound. If there’s sound, then the problem is with the Y-sustain. , regards Bill
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Meaning you have no sound in either case?That only isolates this to not being a y/z board issue which means it is the main or power. Since it primes initially I'd lean toward it being the main, but you'd need to start by testing the voltage outputs of the power supply, which should have all the output pins marked with the expected voltages (vs, va, etc) and see what those are. If any are low/missing, then replace the PS.