Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv was working perfectly and went to agarbled pink background

Customer Question

my tv was working perfectly and went to agarbled pink background with bright blue and yellow areas.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's all I know. The tv is a Panasonic,50" purchased 12/2010.
JA: Anything else I can tell the TV Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please start by getting me the model number off of the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no,Ialready loadad it in the car to go get a new one and decided to see if it may be fixable.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Okay, In order to tell you what is wrong- I will need a bit more info. Is this an LCD or Plasma? Also, with the garbled picture- were you able to pull up the TV's MENU clearly, or was that also affected?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is plasma, ad the menu looked the same
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Okay thanks. On a Plasma this would be related to the plasma display processing which consists of the Sustain boards, power supply and the Plasma panel. Generally a garbled screen indicates that the Sustain boards have failed (which are usually replaced along with the drivers/buffers) or the panel itself has failed (very likely given these symptoms). This would require testing on a bench to narrow it down further, but at a bare minimum you would be looking at roughly $350 parts and labor up to "un-repairable" if the plasma display itself is at fault.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
I personally would not recommend putting this type of money into a 6 year old Plasma, as there are other components that will wear out before long as well. This is why most brands have moved away from Plasma altogether (Panasonic included). If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what I expected. Just as well get a new one. thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome, and you're 100% correct on that. Otherwise, sorry for the bad news on this one. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?