Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a televison phillips magnavox...model ...8p6044 c101.

Customer Question

i have a televison phillips magnavox...model ...8p6044 c101. the problem is the green light comes on than the televison cut off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Phillip. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 1998 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a tube tv, this set is significantly past its service life at this point. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Though, realistically, parts are no longer available, and most shops won't even touch this type of tv anymore. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range (42"), for a comparable sized model to yours would be as little as $500. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan