Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Denon AVR 682 will NOT power up. Press button and

Customer Question

Denon AVR 682 will NOT power up. Press button for power and light does not go on. You aslso cannot hear any clicking when switch is pressed. Surmising it is the switch.Opinion?ThanxJohn
Category: TV
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
error!!!!!!!!!!! I hit Tv and its is and AVR unit
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, John. This is a tv issue or denon issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wrote an edit to indicate that it is an AVR
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Yes I did see that, I was confused initially when you said you hit tv, thinking you were referring to a button, not the tv category. I work with tvs and home theater equipment, so you're fine there.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you see the standby light come on at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have it plugged in right now next to my desk
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand that there is a microprocessor right after this sitch as well, but becasue I an't hear the detent sound when i hit switch i'm leaning towars the switch and that probably is an inexpensive part
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Okay, this is not a switch issue then. It is rare for a switch to fail, but even if it did, you'd still be getting the standby light. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 1999 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. The receiver is significantly past its service life at this point, at over 3x what we'd expect of it. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes) then plug back in.3) Press and hold the speaker a and b buttons together4) Keep holding those while pressing the power button down. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. While the switch is a possibility, again it is not likely. You could certainly pull the switch out though and jumper the connections to confirm. This is something that would require repairs to correct; and ultimately repairs are not going to be feasible. There are no longer parts available for it, and labor alone would greatly exceed the value of the system. You could buy a brand new receiver with updated features and a fresh warranty for less than it would take to fix this one. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding (used) parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanx! I'll check it out with jumper and let you know
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome, and best of luck to you!
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Just checking in, do you need more help with this?