Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

How do i get external speaker to work on my tv bought a sound

Customer Question

how do i get external speaker to work on my tv bought a sound bar and hooked up optical wire and cant seem to figure out hot to get it working..help please..i have a sharp ga667wjsa 60 inch
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
Thank youFirst I will have a few explanations and then a few questions.
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
That number is ***** tv`s remote control number , if your tv is a 60" , could it be a LC60LE925UN ?
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
Also , I may need the sound bar model number ?
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
Now I can tell you that those sharp will not give sound out of the optical port either through its internal apps if there are some and also if the source is connected HDMI , it will give sound only when its own tuner is used or analog component input.What is connected to this tv ?Cable box,satellite,dvd,games etc. ?
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
Just tell me what is connected to the tv and I may not need those model numbers
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
nothing but a andriod box
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
o.k then I do need the model number of the tv in order to be specific but I can also tell you what needs to be done and you can find the correct terminals ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well i have to take the tv off the wall to get model number i will get back to you
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
never mind that , i will tell you how to connect this
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its a sharp aquas 60 inch
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
about 4 years old
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
First , you cannot use the optical port and in any case even if you had sound there it would be 2 channels PCM only .Something you said above about setting the audio out to variable tells me that there are analog left /right audio outs on this tv , that "variable" option applies only to analog audio out not optical so find those terminals and using a RCA stereo type cable (also called phono cable) connect them to your sound bar , if that sound bar has optical input then it will also have analog that is the basic connection so it will have it.That is your best bet to get sound now.If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Otherwise let me have the TV's model number , that 60 " aquos tells me nothing
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
By the way , don`t forget to set the sound bar on the correct input.
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.
Also , since you did set the analog output to variable, don`t forget to turn up the TV's volume as well or set it back to fixed if you don`t want to use the TV's internal speakers as well.You may also have an option to turn off the TV's own speakers and still use the TV's volume , just don`t forget that as long as they are variable, you have 2 volumes to use to get sound , the tv and the sound bar`s volume