Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Pioneer plasma TV, model PDP-5071HD. Is it possible

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer plasma TV, model PDP-5071HD. Is it possible to upgrade the software to control the TV thru WIFI?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Unfortunately No- this TV has not had any software updates for it in over 7 years, and Pioneer has not built or supported these TV's for just as long- so there is no internet connectivity on the TV and no way to modify the actual TV itself to allow this. That said, what is it exactly you're looking to control/do on the set using Wi Fi? Are you simply looking to be able to stream online video (Amazon, Hulu, etc.)? If so, then an external device like a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV box- etc. can be connected to the TV for this purpose. Or was there something else more specific you were looking to do? Even a Smart TV doesn't allow control using Wi Fi- simply photo/video sharing and movie/music streaming. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to be able to turn the tv on using a Harmony remote.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Okay, that you can do- Wi Fi is not required on the TV to use a Harmony remote. You simply need to launch the My Harmony setup software on a computer, connect your remote and add the TV to your devices. Are you familiar with how to setup the remote?
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Not sure if you're still with me- but I'm unable to see what remote you have, what you've done, and where you're stuck. That said- Which Harmony remote do you have? Have you set it up with other devices yet? Or is this a brand new setup of the remote? Please elaborate with detail and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The bar any controls the Chanel's thru the cable box but does not turn the tv on or control the sound
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
That doesn't tell me much offhand. Again, I need details to help. 1) Which Harmony remote do you have? 2) DID you set up the remote originally? 3) ARE you familiar with the Harmony software?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To talk on the phone what is the total cost
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.*** I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question at this point. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. I'd be happy to help you by phone, if you need further assistance with this.To clarify though, the tv cannot be controlled via wifi, though it can be controlled via the harmony, when the harmony is properly programmed.