Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a Sanyo DP42841 that when I turn it on the green power

Customer Question

I have a Sanyo DP42841 that when I turn it on the green power light comes on and "standby" and "USB" comes up on the screen and then immediately turns off. I can do this 3 times and then the green light doesn't come on at all. I just replaced the power board and that didn't solve the issue. I only spent $20 on the board, I guess it doesn't hurt to have a spare. Before I buy anything else I wanted to see if I could get help pinpointing the problem so as not to waste more money. I am trying to fix this for my mom who is on a fixed income and this TV is barely 2 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Gerry. This points to a faulty main board, which is a very common problem with these low end tvs. Are you sure it is only 2 years old though, because it is a 4 year old model? This is the part you'd be looking at: check the part number on your existing board before buying, but that same source has the other potential board numbers too and they are all relatively inexpensive.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Nathan,
She said it was 2 years old but I'm not sure how long it's been sitting non working. She live 3 hours away and I see her a few times a year. I am going to pull the back off again tomorrow after work and double check the part # ***** see about getting the replacement.
I will follow up when complete. Thanks!
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
You're very welcome, and best of luck to you! If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan. Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Nathan, I have the TV open and am looking to pull the digital main board but have 2 questions- 1. how do I remove the ribbon? It seems fragile and I don't want to break it 2. Do the pins on the board that slide into the board with the RCA inputs just slide in and out with no soldering required?
Thanks again,
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
No soldering is required, all of the harnesses/plugs are quick connect type.The ribbon cables remove by lifting the small plastic piece next to it that locks it down, then the ribbon should just pull out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Nathan,
The part came today which I paid $40 for and I just finished installing it. The TV does the exact same thing as before. Turns on for 3 seconds then turns off. After three tries it will not turn on again. I am coming to my wits end with this TV. Anymore suggestions?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trying.It is possible you got a bad board, it does happen. You can try contacting SJ and they'd replace it for you,but beyond that, this would leave only the possibility of a deeper issue, such as a short in the lcd panel, which is not something that can be fixed. Did you put both the new PS and the new main in together? If not, please try that next.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a 50% off coupon so I purchased 2 of the boards you suggested. Both of them did the same thing.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Well it is possible your original power board was bad (in addition to the original), have you considered trying a new one of those yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That was the first board I replaced.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
But you only replaced it once, correct? I'm saying that replacement may have been bad.