Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I replaced the main board but neglected to take a picture of

Customer Question

I replaced the main board but neglected to take a picture of the wiring connections. I believe I have all but one connection made. I have a green/yellow wire that Im not sure whether it connects to a screw on the main board or to a screw on the metal plate that secures the main board. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, The Green/Yellow wire is a ground. It simply needs to be connected to ANY ground spot on the TV- which would be any spot that tethers to the metal frame of the TV. Any of the screws underneath the Mainboard will be sufficient so long as the screws do not thread into plastic.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Either of those two spots in the pictures you've shown will work just fine for the Green/Yellow wire. It's simply a ground return path and needs to have a reference to the metal chassis of the TV (which is your common ground point). Not connecting the ground wire to the chassis gives you a "floating" ground reference which will cause AV noise and distortion.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. The screws on the main board do tether into plastic, however, the board has brass "fittings" that surround the attachment hole. The metal piece that secures the main board also tethers into plastic. It would seem then that I can secure the wire into either hole.as you stated, but which is the best to avoid the floating ground and AV noise?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Use your meter and just make sure the ring on the board has continuity to ground. Or follow the circuit trace on the board visually and make sure it runs back to ground. If there's a brass ring then take your meter and probe to the ring and one of the RCA shields. If you find continuity then it's a ground. If you have no tools then just try both spots (you won't hurt anything) and fire up the TV. If you have good picture and sound then you're good to go.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.