Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

There, I've got an issue with my Vizio E701I-A3. I replaced

Customer Question

Hi there, I've got an issue with my Vizio E701I-A3. I replaced the power supply board, the main board, and the tcon board along with all the wiring between them and the same problem is still persisting. The backlight comes on and somewhat flickers, but no picture, no sound.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And take your time, I'm working till 7 as I do every night, just want the confidence of having an expert on my side assisting me in getting this thing working. I would assume it wouldn't be an issue with the panel, considering there are no funky shapes or splotches or cracks, etc, but it's just odd that after replacing all the main components on the backend it still doesn't fire up.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If you replace parts and nothing changes, then the problem is other than in the parts you are changing.In this case, the panel might be the problem because of the intractable problem with no-sound-no-picture... except that sound ought to come in at least.Have you tried pressing the MENU button and seeing whether that makes anything come up on the panel?Have you checked as to whether there is any signal source being supplied to the TV?And have you replaced (or at least checked all the connections to and from) the component or board that processes signal inputs? If that were not working, you might get no sound as well as no picture. Also check connections to the speakers of the TV. The big clue is: there is no sound, as well as no picture. A lack of sound might mean no signal source tuned in, nor selected.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey Russell,So I plugged my bluray player into port 1 and played a movie and heard nothing, but I'm not sure if my tv was set on input port one considering the picture isn't working. I've already replaced the board that you plug all inputs into (the main board), but that isn't working. If this was an issue with the panel, what part of the panel would need to be replaced?
Try *all* Source settings, one by one (by pressing the Source button, if your TV has such a button near its Menu button, or on its remote. Press the Source button once, wait 10 seconds for any response, press it again and wait, and so forth.) Panels have to be replaced as a whole. And they cost so much it's usually better to give up on the TV and recycle or resell the parts (which is where all those dubious parts sold 'Used' on the market come from, doubtless.) What board does the Port 1 (from the Blu-Ray player) go to?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wow, that blows considering I've pumped $250 into this thing. The plug ins for hdmi 1-4, component plugs, usb, etc go into the Main Board, which I replaced with a new one. In the event I do get sound without the picture, what would that be a sign of?
The Y-Sus board being bad (usually) or the Panel. Remember: the Panel being bad does *not* explain the lack of sound. The panel could be smashed w/a sledgehammer, but you'd still get sound (if other things weren't smashed too as a result.) Something is not right, that you are assuming is OK. Some cable connection, or some other aspect. That's the feeling this case gives me at this point. Often you can save a lot of money swapping in parts, by getting and using a service manual for the TV's model line. Would you be interested in that? the measurements the service manuals recommend, often involve voltmeter work... would you be capable of doing such measurements? they could help if, for instance, you bought a defective power supply. Which is what this case could be. Also service manuals document 'blink codes', where a light on the front blinks in a pattern. Do you have a Power (or other) light on the TV blinking?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll have to check the lights, etc whenever I get home later this evening. Now, is the Y-Sus board the equivalent of a T-Con board? Because if so, I've replaced that with a new one as well
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But yes, I would be willing to test with a voltmeter as soon as I can
Sorry, I must have gotten plasma TV terms confused with LCD TV terms.Yes, rough equivalents.Remember, since a defective panel makes further repairs uneconomical, one of those boards you bought is probably a defective one - though there may be something else, that you overlooked, about the setup (so: Think twice! all over again, but even more open-minded. Provided it doesn't tie you up in doubts.) I have sought a service manual for this model or model line... I'm sorry to say I don't find any for the E701 line... Vizio tends to keep its service information, as some co.s do and some don't too.This might be of interest:http://hdguru.com/vizio-issues-a-recall-on-large-screen-led-lcd-hdtvs/
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sure the lack of supplying that information is an effort on their part to encourage purchase of a new television rather than self repairs. I saw that they had a recall on this model, but I believe the couple I purchased this tv off of ended up claiming that recall already (which I was informed of after purchase). I'm sure getting in there with a volt meter would probably be the most effective way to single out what part of the system is defective, and I'm sure I can probably send back a board for a replacement in the event it is defective. Thank you so much for your help in this by the way, I saw reviews of people being quite hateful over this system due to the fact it didn't solve whatever problems they were having, but I'm sure it has quite a bit to do with the capabilities of those individuals rather than the knowledge and efforts of the experts lending a hand.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I suppose I'll get back with you after I check the light on the front of the system and use a volt meter.
Your remarks about the service I am trying to provide are nothing less of complimentary. I hope I deserve your good attitude. The voltmeter measurements will be most likely to be helpful, initially, if you can locate some test points on (or just off of) the power supply.Sometimes those voltage values will look odd, but it won't be the power supply, but rather a shorted component or board running off of that power supply, and pulling down the line.