Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Samsung 61" DLP. Just put in a new lamp yesterday,

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 61" DLP. Just put in a new lamp yesterday, but that didn't fix my problem. What's happening is....when the TV is turned on....nothing. The lamp is on, I can hear everything. But no picture. AFter about 10 minutes of just sitting there.....the picture comes on and everything works fine. Weird.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. During that time when the screen is black, if you grab the original Samsung remote and press MENU, will the TV's native MENU display? Also, are there any LED's on the front of the set lit or blinking during this time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only LED that comes on is the green lamp light while I'm pushing the ON button on the remote. I tried the original remote thing but the TV comes on right apparently it only does the delay thing after it's cooled down and has been sitting off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
weird huh
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Not really, it's very common for issues to only occur when the set has cooled off for a while. This generally points to the power board- or possibly the Mainboard. But what I was asking you was different than what you answered. When the set is NOT displaying the picture right away, (in other words while the screen is black) are you able to pull up the MENU during that time- yes or no?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, I can't answer that because the TV is on......and working. So I tried to turn it off and see if it delayed again so I could check to see if I could get the menu up using the original remote. But TV came on right away with no I am unable to verify that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I could turn it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on to see if it goes back into delay mode....but that's all I can do
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Okay, if you're looking for general information then the most common cause are weak, out of spec capacitors on the power supply board that are not able to charge when cold. Once they're charged they will typically run without a problem, until the next time they're discharged and left off for a spell. Or if you're looking for more certainty and possibly to repair the set yourself, then I'll need that info above. I will be signing off for the night very soon so you can reply back to that and I will respond in the morning. Not sure what type of assistance you're looking for. We generally see two types of customers: 1) Want to fix the TV themselves, has specific information, tools and some experience. 2) Those that are wondering what the most common cause is, a price to repair and a service locator.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm attempting to fix myself. I'll let you know something in the morning then.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Okay sounds good.