Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

My TV only shows half screen. Half is normal, the other half

Customer Question

My TV only shows half screen. Half is normal, the other half is white (no picture). Model LD-4055, SN: 6151H13902796, Version TW-61511-T040B.
Is it a matter of adjusting or do I need to take it in to a shop?
Where can I find a Westinghouse certified technician?
This is my question: How do I correct the condition, and if parts are needed: what parts (PN) do I need?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. No, there is no adjustment for half of the screen being white. This indicates a failure in the TV. However I need to know if you're saying the top, bottom, left or right half of the screen is white please?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Did you need help with the question you posted?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right half is white.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. Last thing I need to know in order to tell you what needs to be replaced, is if you press MENU on the TV itself (or the original remote), does the MENU display on the white half?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, white half does not project anything in any mode or feature.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay, this indicates a fault with your "T-con" board, which is the LCD timing controller. It needs to be replaced to fix the issue. However there are several models used in this particular set- so I can't give you a part number. If you Google your model number and "T-con" several come up. You will need to remove the back of your TV and get the part number off of the T-con board in your set. It is located under a metal shield at the top center of the screen and requires removing the Mainboard to access it. Below are the search results for the T-con boards for your set:

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

The board itself is "plug and play"- meaning no soldering or special tools are required to replace it. There are also YouTube videos that outline the procedure and can help you swap the board. The reason we know it's the T-con is that it processes separate left and right halves of the image and it's common for an issue to occur on one side of the screen when the board is faulty.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You have not answered my question completely. If you need more information from me, please ask. I need PN of faulty circuit board.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

You need to read all of what is posted above again then if you're still aking about the part number. I cannot tell you anything else.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I will opt out. Good luck.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This should be the part you need:

It is actually a board made by sharp (westinghouse tvs are all made with generic/rebuilt parts from other brands), and part number would be DUNTK4918TPZC or RUNTK4224TPZQ. Before ordering anything, you need to open your tv up and confirm the part number on your existing board as they used several different ones depending on the date and plant it was built in, and you want to get an exact match.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To Aric and Nathan: I acceded the T-con board and ordered the matching part number. I've installed the new T-con board (part numbers matched). I have the same problem: the right side of the screen is all white, the left side displays correct picture.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trying.

Where did you get the part from?
Are you sure the cables/connectors are all tight?

If you have a good (tested/known working) part, and it is installed properly, that would mean you've got a bad main board, or a fault in the lcd panel (which can't be fixed).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Purchased replacement T-con board from
Cables are secured, I tugged on them and checked all other cables.
Had you told me the this information at beginning I would taken a different route, i.e. taken to a repair technician.
At this point I'm not satisfied. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Taking it to a tech would not have resulted in anything else, except more cost to you.

I didn't take up the initial question, I was responding to your specific question about the part number.

If it were me, personally, I would not make any investment at all in the tv.

SJ is a reputable vendor though, and I'm sure they'd allow you to return the tcon in exchange for a new main, if you wished to pursue this further.

Had you taken it to a shop, they would go through the same process - replace the tcon, if no change replace the main, if no change it's the panel, nothing can be done, and you'd still be out hundreds in diagnostics/labor fees to them.

This is a 4 year old tv, from one of the lowest quality manufacturers on the market. It is already past the service life we'd expect from it. This is why I would not consider it to be worth repairing. Taking it to a repair shop, IF it can be fixed, will run you about $300.

For a tv of this size/age/brand however, replacement would more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv, from a more reputable manufacturer with a fresh warranty for under $300.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts (main) next, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here's something interesting: the T-con board has three connectors -an input and two outputs . The output connector attaches to the LCD screen. There is only one output ribbon cable. When I switch the ribbon cable to the other connector, the screen display changes accordingly. Do you suppose there should be two output ribbon connectors attache to the T-con board? There is currently only one.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

There are normally 2 ribbon connectors, are you sure there isn't another there that has fallen loose somewhere?

Are you saying the display flipped when you moved the ribbon to the other output (the white part moved to the other half)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only one ribbon connector from t-con to screen.
Yes, display changes sides according to which connector is plugged in.
Are you sure I need a second ribbon connector?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I don't have a service manual (one of the major problems with this company - there is no service documentation) to confirm, but I have NEVER seen a set that didn't have one. There is always a 2nd cable, with the output being split to the 2 halves of the tv. Having only half a picture is the reason Aric initially diagnosed this as being a faulty tcon board in the first place, with the expectation being that it was not outputting signal to that half.

Has the tv been transported or moved? Are you absolutely certain that 2nd cord isn't there somewhere, fell down behind something, etc?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** this case.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.