Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My tv has sound but the screen is black

Customer Question

my tv has sound but the screen is black
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

I believe this is the question I engaged, and you never replied. Did you have the Sanyo set?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

If you grab the original Sanyo remote and press MENU, will the MENU display please?
Also if you shut the set off and turn it back on, will the Sanyo welcome screen display?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does not have a picture no matter how many times you do it. Can not get to menu or anything
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. If the MENU on the TV does not show up- then this indicates a hardware failure in the set in the backlight circuit of the screen. This generally requires service to the TV.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Green light comes on and that is it. It is not connected to our Direct TV so we don't even get sound
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

The DirecTv is not relevant to the TV's native welcome screen showing up or the Inputs or MENU working. This indicates a failure in the set and it requires service.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can we order a new board for it
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

There's several boards in this set that could cause this problem. In order to narrow it down you will need tools- such as a multi-meter and the ability to measure live voltages. What is your experience with working on electronics?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you We are done
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay there isn't a one shot diagnosis for no picture on the set. You could be looking at a bad power supply board, or Mainboard. Your power supply is the most likely culprit, so if you wanted to take a chance on that you would purchase and replace part: Sanyo / Toshiba 75017704 (PK101V1500I, FSP140-4F01) Power Supply Unit for the set.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?