Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

My Sony trinitron kv-20m10 has no picture but the volume is

Customer Question

My Sony trinitron kv-20m10 has no picture but the volume is good. How do I get a picture to show on my tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Does screen show any light while having sound from TV?

- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The tv shows nothing at all the sound is good though on every channel this problem just started today as I turned the cable on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no light just sound. This only started this morning
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello are you there
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Sorry for delayed reply, I was away from computer.

Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that 2 times and still no picture just sound for every channel
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, that test has confirmed that it is hardware related failure in TV, no light on screen indicates horizontal deflection section failure and either horizontal output transistor or flyback transformer has shorted out. It needs further troubleshooting inside TV with voltmeter to verify the bad part then good soldering work with proper tools and expertise is needed to replace defective part to resolve the problem. Please reply back if you wish to do-it-yourself to assist you further. If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote around $120 to $150...
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV as you can buy new 32 inch LCD in that amount. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.