hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience:  State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer

I have a Panasonic VCR model #PV9451, SN #F9SA43276 and want

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic VCR model #PV9451, SN #F9SA43276 and want to play VHS tape on Samsung Smart TV model #UN40H5201AFXZA, SN #02ZV3CSG704020H. I have used source button on TV remote, but cannot get VHS tape to play from the VCR to the TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions.

I take it that you connected the vcr into the tv`s antenna/cable terminal at the back ,is that correct ?

Does the vcr go into play mode at all ?

Like you can see the tape counter going up for example ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, problem #1 is I must leave computer to do something else that came up. Problem #2 is I am a dimwit when comes to tech issues, and not sure what you are asking. Does back of TV say words "antenna/cable" ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
VCR shows "play" and "ff" if I push fast forward. Did not notice if tape counter is moving.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

it could say either , I`m talking about the antenna input connector .

You know the type of round screw on type of coaxial cable ??

You said you tried the tv on channel 3 or 4 so you need to have the vcr connected there and if you are using color coded red/white/yellow cables then you need to set the source to video input not channel 3 or 4

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

At the back of the tv it says ANT IN where the coaxial connects .

Is that what you are using ?

A coaxial cable or color coded cable ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The coaxial cable is connected(is that the Comcast cable?) I have a red, white, green, blue cable. Must I have red, white, yellow? If so, that might one of problems.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

doesn`t matter which color they are its just for id purpose , they could be pink for that matter.

Just as long as you connect them in the right place .

What does the cable box have to do in here ?

Is it connected into the vcr or tv ?

Is the cable box working ?

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

I`m sorry but something came up i will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .
Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cable box does work, I believe it is connected to TV. The red, white, green wires were connected from cable box to TV. I changed from that to connect VCR to TV. I am totally lost. Sorry, must leave for now.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 6 months ago.

Hello there, here is the manual for your VCR

​Please look at the attached excerpt from the back of the manual.

Please connect the cables between the cable box and TV back the way there were. You now need to connect the Ant in on the TV to the lower Out to TV on the VCR using a coax cable. Make sure that the switch on the back of the VCR is on the required setting for your area; be it Ch3 or Ch4. Then set your TV to the antenna input and put it to Ch3 or 4. Now press the play button on the TV and you should see a picture

Hello did you see my answer please?

You need to use a coax cable to connect the "out to TV connection on the back of your VCR to your TV's Ant IN connection.