Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I Have a series of vertical lines on my Sylvania 6626 flat

Customer Question

Dick Evans I Have a series of vertical lines on my Sylvania 6626 flat screen tv.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Powering down and holding power button down for 10 seconds does not help. The screen is lit but with the thin vertical color lines.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to determine what's caused this, and the next steps to take- I need to ask you for more info.

1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?

2) If you press MENU on the original remote, will the MENU display clearly?

3) What color are those lines and how thick are they?

4) Is the audio on the set still working normally?

Please reply back with details and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. The set is about 3 or 4 years old and the problem occurred tonight, 29 Mar 2015.
2. Cannot see anything on TV.
3. Just a lit screen with thin, various colored, vertical lines.
4. Sound OK.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. If nothing at all will display on the screen when the set is powered up (no welcome screen, no MENU's, etc.) then this indicates a failure within the TV. The native MENU's supersede all connections and settings, and when we cannot view them, we know the issue is indeed internal. There are only two possible causes of this problem- one is the T-con (LCD controller), which is a replaceable part, and the other is the LCD panel itself (most likely cause given the lines are multi-colored). Unfortunately the only chance of repairing the set is to purchase and replace the T-con board and hope that it clears the issue. Since it could be caused by either the panel or the T-con, and there is no way to test either part without the other- we simply have to replace the T-con or replace the TV. The cost of a new LCD panel is 80% of what the TV cost when new and the set would be not repairable in that case.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately I'm not able to find the T-con board being available for purchase for this set:

http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-6626LCT-T-CON-V270B1-L01-C-35-D006997/dp/B00TR540KU

If you're looking to DIY repair the set, then you'll need to use that part number and search used/pulled parts sites like Ebay and Amazon, or Shop Jimmy and replace the T-con.

However if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will charge close to $150 parts and labor to swap the T-con- but these symptoms do point more towards a failed screen than anything else.

Given that I would consider putting that same money towards purchase of a new set, as a brand new 26" LED TV can be purchased for around $180 these days.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Do you need further assistance?