Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Sharp Aquos 50" (6 yrs old) the screen has gone

Customer Question

I have a Sharp Aquos 50" (6 yrs old) the screen has gone black...the power and OPC lights are blinking off and on. Cable company says the cable box is operating. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, the OPC and power lights blinking are not related in any way to the cable box. They indicate a hardware issue within the TV, which in most cases requires service.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

If that does not work, then I will need the following info to tell you exactly what has gone wrong:

1) The model number off of the back of the Sharp.

2) The specific number of blinks of the OPC light, per the power light (for example: OPC 3 blinks, to every 1 blink of Power, etc.).

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.