Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have an RCA rear Projection TV Model P52929, it's about 15

Customer Question

I have an RCA rear Projection TV Model P52929, it's about 15 years old. I lose color it goes from black and white to color.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

What is connected to this tv ?
Cable box,satellite,dvd,games etc. ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cable box
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

O.k then it could have been an idea to try something else for a test and make sure the cable box r the wiring is not the problem .

What type of cables /connection do you have between the cable box and tv ?
Is it color coded component cables or a coaxial in the TV's antenna /cable terminal ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The coaxial cable goes into the cable box then I have RCA plugs going from the cable box to the DVD player then more RCA plugs going from the DVD player back to the TV
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had DirecTV this is how it was hooked up I just change the Comcast this week and that's when the problem started
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

o.k then I take it that this is a dvd/vcr player and recorder .

Just for a test try to bypass the dvd and connect directly into the tv or use a piece of coaxial cable and connect another one from the cable box directly to the TV's antenna/ cable input then set your tv to channel 3 or 4

Just like vcr`s used to be connected .

The idea is to bypass the dvd and those connections to eliminate a possible culprit

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Right now you are using composite red/white/yellow terminals and cables , is that correct ?

Not the component (input 2 on the tv ) Y-Pb-Pr terminals ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried it and it's the same results
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

tried it what ?

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

bypass or another cable ?

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

if you just play a dvd , do you also lose the color ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I bypass the DVD player put the RCA cables to Yellow red and white directly into the TV and the same results I had to I had color at times then went back to black and white
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

o.k now try the dvd player , play a disc and see what happens

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Right now the DVD is in color
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

O.k then if the dvd stays fine then have that cable box replaced

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

If you start losing color there as well then we are talking about repairs to the tv and playing around the TV's chroma circuits definitely is not for the DIYer , you need very good knowledge of those TV's

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Do you have other questions on this ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** everything it's fine
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Thanks for understanding .