Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

We have an tachi Ultravision flat screen television, that

Customer Question

We have an Hitachi Ultravision flat screen television, that periodically turns on my itself during the night.
What might cause that? Cable company says its not their equipment that does it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, no- your cable company cannot turn or cause your TV to turn on. This is internal to the TV. In order to determine what's causing this, I need to ask for more info.

1) What is the full model number off of the back of the TV?

2) How long have you owned it for and when did this issue first occur?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model #42HDS69 - have had TV 3-5 years (don't really know)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
issue began not too long after we got it, but only happens about once a week, not same day, and ususally 2 to 4 a.m.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. There is a component within the TV that produces the turn on command, and generally it means the processor on this board is failing/acting up if the TV turns itself on. Just to make sure- you don't have the TV plugged into any kind of timer? Additionally there's no chance someone is inadvertanty turning the set on (leaning on a remote, etc.)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no timer, not leaning on remote (at 3 a.m.?). Can the component be fixed or replaced? Cost?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No timer or leaning ..can component be fixed or replaced? Cost?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Not sure why you said (at 3 a.m.?) as it wouldn't be the first time we've seen someone fall asleep on a remote- I'm simply asking as I am not there to see what you see.

Yes it can be replaced, however it would first be worth trying a hard reset of the TV.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Wait a full minute, then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. This drains residua current from the TV and can be tried several times.

If the issue goes beyond that, then the Mainboard would need to be replaced, which is on average a $250 repair on your set.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

In this case the part that needs to be replaced is: Hitachi JP50761 which is the "Main Digital Board", and is generally ROUND $110 for a used part (new parts are no longer available for Plasma sets). In that case, if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

Alternatively, a brand new 42" LED TV could be purchased for just over the cost of repairing this set, and is something I would consider as well.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much for your assistance and advice.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome and best of luck with the set.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?