Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

Mitsubishi 65dlp replaced lamps 4 times, choose 3/4 comes up

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

This chassis has a pretty good code system to help understand the cause of a lamp going out. 34 indicates it is at the actual cartridge. My hunch from reading your previous post is that as the lamp warms up, the contacts on the cartridge that touch the contacts in the lamp compartment lose contact. This could be due to a couple of things: an aftermarket cartridge or a damaged compartment due to heat.

Pull out the lamp and take a very good look inside the compartment with a flashlight. Do you see any visible damage? Maybe heat related? How about the cartridge itself?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced 4 brand new lamps in the last two days, pulled out the new one i replaced this morning, i don't see any heat damaged
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

And just so I fully understand...when the lamp goes out, switching off the TV and on again brings it back on. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correct sir, the screen is perfect for about ten minutes, starts flashing and then the red light stays on the tv
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Ok do you have a multimeter? Do you know where to locate the lamp ballast?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No i do not sir
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lamp ballast, is that the two wires that hook up to the lamp
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You think something is overheating?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

The ballast is a small circuit board. The two wires to the lamp come from the ballast.

Do you have a multimeter and do you see the ballast?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't have a multimeter
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

There's a lamp cover switch that may be losing connection. That connection keeps the lamp lit.

We can try and short that out. It may help if I show you a schematic.

Hold on please.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Take a look at THIS. Please locate the lamp compartment switch and jump it out. You can use a piece of wire or a paper clip. You may need to partially dismantle the back of the set to get to this small switch board.

Once we jump that out, let's see if the set stays on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure exactly what to do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it plugged into the board?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again. It's going to be hard to troubleshoot this TV without a multimeter. Do you have the back off the set?