Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an older model Visio and ever since a technician

Customer Question

I have an older model Visio and ever since a Cox technician "checked" out my connections to it, the picture is fuzzy. I've moved it to another location, checked out how a DVD functions on it and that picture is perfect, changed the cable connection to another one to which a different fully functioning Visio was attached, but still a fuzzy display. When connecting a minibox to it, the blank "No Signal" screen is bright blue and the letters of that message are perfect.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What type of cables /connection do you have between the cable box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cable
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean a single coaxial cable in the tv`s antenna terminal ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No wonder its fuzzy compared to a dvd player

Can you give me the model number of that tv ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find that?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

On the back cover for sure

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

for an older vizio the model number may start with the letters VL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VA26LHDTV10T
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , give me a minute please

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This tv has HDMI inputs , HDMI 1 and 2 at the back , can you see such a port on the cable box ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but when trying to use the HDMI port, the remote would not program. I switched to the cable connection and the remote worked. I did try using a minibox once before with this particular tv and had the same fuzzy result with the remote functioning properly. This television worked perfectly until that technician moved it or did whatever when I was not in the room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a picture but it's hazy. The picture is like this no matter where I connect the tv. It is now connected where another one was working fine before it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Something here does not really make sense about the hdmi and remote not working , i mean those are two complete different functions .

Right now you have the worst connection possible for picture .

If that box does have a hdmi output then try it again and this time use the buttons on the tv to switch the input to hdmi .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

the next best thing would be the component type connection but i don`t think this minibox has that at the back

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that the remote stopped operating the tv or the box with the hdmi connect ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The HDMI is a plug in on both the tv & the minibox. What buttons?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry , my bad , there is no INPUT button directly on the tv thought i saw that .

In any case if you want a clear picture you will have to use something else than that coaxial cable connection you have now .

Do you have a hdmi cable handy for a test ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Or can you borrow one from another piece of equipment ?

You must have used one when you tried the dvd player

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What sort of test - I have an HDMI cable that goes to this new minibox but the minibox is also connected to the coaxial cable.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

you already have a hdmi cable bet ween the mini box and tv ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If so turn off the tv and then for now disconnect the cable in the antenna terminal of the tv then turn it back on and press the HDMI button a couple of times on the tv`s remote until it gets to where the mini box is connected .

Tell me what happens there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coax cable is not connected to the TV. It is connected to the minibox
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I asked you earlier " Do you mean a single coaxial cable in the tv`s antenna terminal ?" and you said yes

So now is the tv connected to the cable box with a hdmi cable or something else ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

sorry but i`m not following you here and i will opt out .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was connected with a cable at first because that was the only way the remote would program and I could get a picture. I now have disconnected that and reconnected the HDMI cable and have no picture at all. This is hopeless. Thanks for trying to help me. So I'll just pay the original $5.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind and I do not wish to be charged anything more than the initial $5 deposit since I have not gotten an answer to my problem. I'll just take the tv to a repairman, I guess.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem but on a last note , I would not bother taking this older 26 " for repair ,it will cost you more to repair than junk it and get a new one

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

now I`m out