Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an older model Visio and ever since a technician

Customer Question

I have an older model Visio and ever since a Cox technician "checked" out my connections to it, the picture is fuzzy. I've moved it to another location, checked out how a DVD functions on it and that picture is perfect, changed the cable connection to another one to which a different fully functioning Visio was attached, but still a fuzzy display. When connecting a minibox to it, the blank "No Signal" screen is bright blue and the letters of that message are perfect.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

What type of cables /connection do you have between the cable box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cable
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Do you mean a single coaxial cable in the tv`s antenna terminal ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

No wonder its fuzzy compared to a dvd player

Can you give me the model number of that tv ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do I find that?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

On the back cover for sure

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

for an older vizio the model number may start with the letters VL

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
VA26LHDTV10T
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Thanks , give me a minute please

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

This tv has HDMI inputs , HDMI 1 and 2 at the back , can you see such a port on the cable box ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but when trying to use the HDMI port, the remote would not program. I switched to the cable connection and the remote worked. I did try using a minibox once before with this particular tv and had the same fuzzy result with the remote functioning properly. This television worked perfectly until that technician moved it or did whatever when I was not in the room.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is a picture but it's hazy. The picture is like this no matter where I connect the tv. It is now connected where another one was working fine before it.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Something here does not really make sense about the hdmi and remote not working , i mean those are two complete different functions .

Right now you have the worst connection possible for picture .

If that box does have a hdmi output then try it again and this time use the buttons on the tv to switch the input to hdmi .

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

the next best thing would be the component type connection but i don`t think this minibox has that at the back

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Do you mean that the remote stopped operating the tv or the box with the hdmi connect ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The HDMI is a plug in on both the tv & the minibox. What buttons?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Sorry , my bad , there is no INPUT button directly on the tv thought i saw that .

In any case if you want a clear picture you will have to use something else than that coaxial cable connection you have now .

Do you have a hdmi cable handy for a test ?

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Or can you borrow one from another piece of equipment ?

You must have used one when you tried the dvd player

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What sort of test - I have an HDMI cable that goes to this new minibox but the minibox is also connected to the coaxial cable.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

you already have a hdmi cable bet ween the mini box and tv ??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

If so turn off the tv and then for now disconnect the cable in the antenna terminal of the tv then turn it back on and press the HDMI button a couple of times on the tv`s remote until it gets to where the mini box is connected .

Tell me what happens there

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The coax cable is not connected to the TV. It is connected to the minibox
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I asked you earlier " Do you mean a single coaxial cable in the tv`s antenna terminal ?" and you said yes

So now is the tv connected to the cable box with a hdmi cable or something else ?

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

sorry but i`m not following you here and i will opt out .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was connected with a cable at first because that was the only way the remote would program and I could get a picture. I now have disconnected that and reconnected the HDMI cable and have no picture at all. This is hopeless. Thanks for trying to help me. So I'll just pay the original $5.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nevermind and I do not wish to be charged anything more than the initial $5 deposit since I have not gotten an answer to my problem. I'll just take the tv to a repairman, I guess.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

No problem but on a last note , I would not bother taking this older 26 " for repair ,it will cost you more to repair than junk it and get a new one

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

now I`m out