Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Shahid, I asked you a question on a Samsung dlp television

Customer Question

Shahid, I asked you a question on a Samsung dlp television if you remember it was this questionI have a Samsung HTL5075sx dlp tv in which I thought needed a new DMD board. However after replacing the lamp which works, the ballast, and the DMD board the the lamp will not light unless I bridge a connection on the plug that goes from the DMD board to the ballast. The color wheel spins up to the rpm it is supposed to so now I have no idea what else to diagnose. The only light on the front that is active is the Lamp light that blinks green for about 45 sec and then repeats the process
Category: TV
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You gave me a diagram and told me to test CN811 on the power supply board
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have tested them and every connection is getting the right power except placement 24 and 5, they're are supposed to be getting 33vb and 70 vb and I'm getting all the way up to 6v on 5 and 12v on 24
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I looked back on what you said last time about the current being constant and on the 16v they are constant but the standby 5v is not constant it only goes up to 4.97 and goes up and down
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same thing with the 12v they go up to 12 and go back down but are not constant
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Hi Donald, so STB_5V at pin-1 goes low and high while TV tries to turn On?

How low that volt goes?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I guess I was not getting a good enough connection but it it staying constant at 4.97
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My apologies for the confusion
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
However, I just discovered that when the kill switch is on I receive the 5v pulse I am supposed to be getting to the ballast but when I flip the switch to turn it off is when I don't get a reading or a reading up to 1v and the lamp lights for a couple of seconds
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could this mean a faulty kill switch?
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry, what are you referring as 'kill switch' here?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I mean the lamp door switch
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Lamp door switch is safety switch that tells main processor chip that lamp door is in place and secure. It s just a safety measure to avoid any thing touching to lamp while it is On as lamp gets quite hot.

Standby volts is constant but TV still doesn't turn On is actual issue, is this correct?

What are the LED lights on TV front do when press power button to turn On the TV and when TV fails to power up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well the tv does power up, the problem is just the lamp getting the ok to light up
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, so lamp doesn't fire up, correct?

If so, does TV stay On for longer time or switch Off after few minutes?

If it turns Off, what the front little lights do?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The only way I can get the lamp to fire is if I test a connection that goes from the connector on the board on the ballast that's connected to the DMD board as if I'm bridging the connection but when I have the lamp switch switched on then I only get a reading at that connection of 5v like it's supposed to
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, it could be faulty/ broken harness runs from DMD board to Ballast board and bridging the connection makes circuit complete and lamp fires up.

Is it possible for you to check continuity of each wire in that harness to figure out what wire is broken?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can check that, I'll have to wait to I get home later so I'll let you know later this afternoon
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, take your time.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The plug is entirely too small to try to test for continuity in the wires
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, when lamp turns On when you jump the wire, do you get normal picture on TV screen and does TV stay On?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It only lights for a couple seconds and blinks once almost like a turn signal on a vehicle
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

This is odd and confusing symptoms. Do you still have old DMD and ballast boards and what were the symptoms of TV that prompted you to replace both boards?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have them and yea who woulda thought that my tv has the worst problems
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Can you please share old symptoms of TV that caused both boards replacement?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The same symptoms , the tv powers up , color wheel spins, ballast clicks, no blue flame in the arc gap unless I ground the lead on the connector on the ballast and it cycles through trying to light the lamp for about 45 sec and then powers down
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the info, where did you buy the replacement lamp from and how much you paid for it?

Low price/ cheap lamp wont work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was this one from Amazon
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

ah OK, this cheap lamp could be main reason of current problem in TV, as I mentioned in previous reply these low price lamps do not work nor last longer and gives additional problems in TV. I would strongly recommend to put good quality lamp in TV, for example following lamp supplier..

http://dlplampsource.com/bp96-01653a-television-replacement-lamp.html

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what about the fact that the lamp does light when the connector is bridged
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does in fact light but a signal is not being sent?
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Good question, it seems you ground the error signal pin at ballast board to get the lamp fire up for a while but main processor chip still detects the error by feedback signal from ballast board to switch Off the TV. Error signal comes due to sub par lamp which consume more current than expected. These low price bulbs/lamps are junk/ fake and do not work.

I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks.