Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Have 8yr old Bravia 52" TV. Now getting "ghost" and double

Customer Question

Have 8yr old Bravia 52" TV. Now getting "ghost" and double images for the first five or six minutes. Seems to go away after this warm-up period. I have DirectTV, have checked HDMI connections, and have not added anything new or placed anything new around the equipment. Is my TV going out?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

There are a couple of things that can cause this problem (the T-con board, aka: LCD controller board, the LCD panel itself, or an issue with the DirecTv processor itself in the DTV box).

The test we use in the field to determine if the TV is the root cause of the problem, is to grab the ORIGINAL Sony remote and press HOME/MENU WHILE the problem is showing up on the screen. If the TV's MENU appears pristine and does not have the same artifacts the programming shows- then you know the DirecTv box and/or HDMI cable must be replaced. These are digital components with digital processors and can cause the problems you're having.

However if you see the TV's native MENU is also affected then we know it's an internal hardware failure in the TV. The LCD controller board would need to be replaced first to see if it fixes the issue (around a $250 repair on this set) and if that does not correct it then we know the LCD pane (the "screen" of the TV) is going out and this is not repairable as the cost of the screen is 80% of what the TV cost when new. In that case given that a brand new 52" LED TV starts at around $500, it would be money better spent to replace versus repairing the Sony.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance once you're able to see my reply.