Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My name is ***** *****, I have a Samsung HLS6767WX DLP that

Customer Question

Hey my name is ***** *****, I have a Samsung HLS6767WX DLP that takes a few cycles to turn on, sometime 10 or more attempts over 20 minutes. While it attempts to turn on, the bulb flickers on for a second every few seconds, and the TV makes a squeel noise with a constant click/beep. I have 2 new lamps, one Phillips one a cheap knock off, both have the same issue. I've replaced the color wheel, power board (old one had no blown caps), and ballast. I've soldered the wires on the thermostat above the lamp and the blue back switch wires together to ensure they weren't bad. None of these changes the behavior.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All fans spin, all cables look good. The only things left to replace really are the DMD board and the main board, but I'm not sure those could affect the TV in this way. Once the TV powers up fully, there are 0 issues.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

When the TV fails to turn on, do you get any blink error codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After it tries for a minute or so it gets the standard 3 lights blinking.. timer, lamp, standby/temp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
while trying to turn on lamp is flashing
\
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

What colors are they blinking?

Do they blink fast or slow?

How many times do they blink?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
timer and lamp are green, standy/temp is red. they blink about once a second after the tv has failed to turn on, forever
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
lamp flashes green about once a second while it tries to turn on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is normally a bad power board with blown caps, it's a known Samsung issue. I replaced it with a new power board, even though the old power board had no bulged capacitors, but it didn't resolve the issue.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Yes, and I see you have replaced the ballast too, which is another possible cause of this blink code...

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Have you measured any of the high voltages at the lamp when it tries to fire up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Might be worthwhile, just to make sure power is definitely getting there.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Another possibility is if the lamp door is not correctly fitted, or if the sensor does not detect it - this will also prevent the ballast from firing power to the lamp, and cause the lamp light to blink.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've tried shorting the temp sensor and the door sensor with no change, confirmed the failure is different with them disconnected. Do you know where best to check the voltage on the ballast?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The lamp does fully power up once every 10s or so when the tv is trying to turn on though, it just fades out most of the time. It doesn't look any different than when the TV does actually power on, it just doesn't fade.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

You can also tell a lot about what is going on just by listening - when you press the power button, look and listen through the vents where the lamp door is. What do you hear when it tries to start?

Listen for the following: 1 A fan coming on. 2. The color wheel starting - a slight whining noise. 3 A buzzing sound from the ballast, around three times.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

In order for the lamp to light up, these three things need to happen: the fan has run, the color wheel has to lock at a certain speed, then the ballast assembly will fire the lamp. If the color wheel has failed then the lamp will not fire up.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

A faulty color wheel is a common failure in these older TV sets.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep i can visually see the fans start to spin up, a whining and i can see the color wheel spinning, then the lamp lights up what looks like fully for a second, the it shuts off and i continue to hear everything spinning and a beep about every 1/2s. after maybe 20 is seems to 'reset' and starts the process over. after a couple failures i get the 3 flashing lights and it stops trying
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The color wheel is new also, the old one spun fine, and the new one seems to do the same and didn't change the behavior.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Because the lamp is lighting up, that would mean all the steps needed are happening right (color wheel/fans/temp etc)? What would cause the lamp to light up then shut off? Voltage too low?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Yes, a low voltage would cause that to happen.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I'm out of ideas at this point, so I'm going to see if the other TV experts have any additional TV input.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You'd think if it was a voltage issue the TV would have trouble while on though. Once powered up, the TV has never had issues. Unless the peak draw is during power on and it's only tripped up at that point?