Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I had the flashing yellow light, I pushed that button, #14,

Customer Question

I had the flashing yellow light, I pushed that button, #14, and now it's cycling through all the colors. The instructions say to "restart the TV." Do I plug in the other cables I unplugged - which are #12 and #13? #12 is plugged in, but I can't plug in #13. I can't get it to fit in to each other. Also, should the TV be unplugged while I do all this? Might I get shocked?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Gretchen.

Can you tell me the complete model number of the tv?

Don't worry about the other cables, just unplug power to the tv for a minute or two for a quick restart, then let me know if the problem continues and I'll advise further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have unplugged power to the tv several times. The problem continues. It was completely black with a slow flashing yellow light, no pattern. It's a Hitachi, and I don't know the model number. It says Ultra Vision Digital, and it's 42", and it's about 10 or more years old.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. There is more to it than this though, and a simple "restart" is not going to be helpful at this point, based on the symptoms indicated.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a very old and obsolete model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as it is already well past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this, Gretchen?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Nathan, Thanks for asking. It turns out that my TV is fine. The DISH receiver had died. I got a new DISH receiver, and all is well with the TV. Your input kept me trying things, which helped me wait until the day that DISH came, so that kept me from buying a new TV and saving a few hundred dollars. Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day. :)
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Great, I"m glad to hear it is back on track for you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,