Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an LG 42LG5, and cannot tune in the new channel 76.

Customer Question

I have an LG 42LG5, and cannot tune in the new channel 76. Melbourne Vic Aust.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Rod.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately this will not be possible as your tvs internal tuner is not compatible wiith the new stations, which use a special type of mpeg4 compression, which is a relatively new broadcast format. While it could pick up the station, it is not compatible with the mpeg4 compression used on these new channels. It cannot be upgraded, updated, or changed. This is a 2009 model, so lg ended all support for it many years ago and would not be releasing any future firmware updates for it.

Other than replacing the tv, your next best option would be to hook up an external tuner instead. You can pick one up for $50 or less at dick smith, harvey norman, etc.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,