Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Samsung lcd model LN37A330J1DXZC Ver AA02 t the power button

Customer Question

Samsung lcd model LN37A330J1DXZC
Ver AA02
Hit the power button and it emits electronic beeping tones with no sound and a black screen and then u hit the button again an it beeps another series of tones. Low to high then high to low power down type tones.
If I know what part requires changing ill definitely tackle it myself.
I looked at the capacitors and they appear ok. No bulging/leaking.
Mark
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Mark.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. Bad capacitors are not something that would cause this, but even if they did there are often no obvious visual signs.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. Assuming it is the power board (the likely cause) figure about $125 in parts. Even that though I wouldn't bother with personally, considering the age. Fixing the current issue will not extend the life of the tv significantly. It may last another year, but it won't last several more even, and certainly not another 8.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for under $300.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanx
I paid nothing for the tv
If I pay $120 for a power supply I'm ok with that in this case but I absolutely see your point.
If I can positively identify which unit is bad then ill source out the part and change it.
I have some electronic experience.
Thanx
Mark
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

The beeping would indicate it is trying to boot, if this was a PS issue you'd expect no response at all.

You can certainly try to test/verify the voltage outputs of the PS against the indicated expected levels, while trying to boot. If any are low/missing, you could replace the PS, if they appear within parameters, then you'd' replace the main.

A cursory search shows the part is not readily available though, except perhaps used on ebay.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just found out that the noise is normal boot up / shut down noises.
I have a multimeter. Just need to find output levels and go from there.https://www.encompassparts.com/model/SMGLN37A330J1DXZA/_/_/Samsung/LN37A330J1DXZA/LCD_TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Yes it is trying to boot, but not able to complete the process.

You need to check the exact board number inside your set to match parts.

The PS output pins should all be marked

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The ribbon that leads to the long board that runs vertical on tv. 5 24v pins all 24v with the tv on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Okay what are you getting from the other harness?