Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My 46' samsung has a problem where the picture goes out

Customer Question

My 46' samsung has a problem where the picture goes out (screen black) if I turn it off and back on the picture comes back sometimes for a long time sometimes goes back out in short time
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
LN46B640R3FXZAMEDIACOM CABLE BOX HOOKED UP AND THAT IS WHAT WE USE ALL THE TIME. THERE IS A DVD PLAYER HOOKED UP ALSO BUT WE HAVEN'T USED IT SINCE THIS STARTED.
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the info - Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Trying it now, I will have to give it some time after I plug back in so unless it goes black soon I will probably have to let you know tomorrow if it is still doing it.
Thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Sure, please take your time and reply back if problem persist, if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The screen went black again, turned off and back on and it is working again.
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, can you try another video source such as DVD or Bluray player to see if problem occurs or TV works fine with it?

This test will help to figure out is the problem within TV or cable box is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I haven't had a chance to try the DVDs player yet as I have been working extra hours at work
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

No problem, take your time and try DVD test in your convenient time to see the result which will help to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the screen still goes out even when the dvd player is on. Also you don't see anything when you try to use the remote to select the menu or source. The sound never goes out.
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, it seems backlight turns Off for some reason that made screen dark, we need to do another test to confirm it. Please grab a good flashlight and shine it on screen bit closely, if you observe faint/ dim image inside screen while TV is On and program sound comes from TV that means backlight has turned Off for some reason and causing the dark screen problem.

At this point there are two suspected circuit boards, either power supply/ backlight inverter board is defective or main board is failing and turns Off backlight system. Swapping the power supply board in TV will help to resolve the issue. Please click following link to view power supply bard image and get the part number off of power supply board to search/ google it to get price info to order it..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LN46B640R3FXZA

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix available for this trouble. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.