Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

I have an Insignia 39" TV. Have red power light, but TV wont

Customer Question

I have an Insignia 39" TV. Have red power light, but TV wont turn on, unless it wants to.NS39D310NA15. Have had just barely over 2 years. Have tried unplugging
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No. Just wont turn on
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

You said " unless it wants to " , does that mean that it will turn on at times ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just will not come on. I unplug it, hold down the power button 60 seconds. Changed outlets. Put it on a new power strip. Change which plug it is in. Eventually it will come on, but is a pain in the butt. Been going on for a week or more.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it will turn on at times
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

O.k and do you mean that its gotten worse since the first time it did this or stayed the same ?

Like it would take longer than usual or repeated attempts before it would turn on until this ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it has gotten worse since it started. Is it just time for a new TV, even tough its only 2 years old?
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Well.... one thing I have to say is that those TV's made for bestbuy are not made to last hence the low cost of purchase and from what you are telling me about the reboot (disconnect power) this looks like a main board problem .

Usually a main board for theses TV's will run around $80 (I could get the details) and if you`re not going to repair this yourself then you are looking at a $200 repair in which case I would suggest investing it in a new tv with a fresh warranty

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have another Insignia I have had for Ten plus years, its the best TV in the house. Are you pretty sure its the board?
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

It certainly is not programming or adjustments and a power board will fail once , no reboot will bring it back so that leaves the main board as suspect .

Of course I can`t be there with tools and meters but by experience I`d give this a 90% chance .

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Your other insignia must be plasma by the way , much tougher

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you have other questions for now and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

This is your main board+power supply all in one , you cannot miss and if someone around the house is handy with a screwdriver , then it is plug&play , all screws and plugs no solder ;

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Just verify that it is a match with your version