Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Here is the problem I have direct tv and just the other day

Customer Question

here is the problem I have direct tv and just the other day they did an upgrade which made the box non compliant with my tv, they subjected that i use the component connection in order to use the box. but for some reason now my hdmi only sees the direct tv box which it can't use but not my ps3 or my dvd player..... the model tv isLN-S4692D Am I going to have to take it in for repair...
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

This sounds more like the HDMI Inputs on the TV failed more than anything else. If you can't select the other ports it means the Samsung isn't detecting any signal from them- which usually means they've failed (which is a common failure in these sets). However it would be worth trying a hard reset of the set first:

1) Please disconnect the set from power, then remove any HDMI cables from the TV.

2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the HDMI cables back into the set.

3) Plug the TV back into power and turn it on. Try to select the HDMI ports and let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

If the same issue occurs, then the Mainboard is what needs to be replaced, and if you're looking to repair the set yourself, the Mainboard can be purchased at the link below for $50 (which is a "plug and play" part):

http://www.thecomputerpartstore.com/samsung-lns4692d-main-board-bn4100679d-bn9400963b

Alternatively, if this is NOT something you're comfortable trying to repair yourself, a shop will generally charge $250 parts and labor for this type of repair and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the port with the dvd player in it plays the music from the dvd however the screen is going from blue to green as if trying to see the dvd. the port with the ps3 is black screen... I also tried the direct tv box in the port which I was able to watch load up, then show a movie then go to you tv does not support this movies content.... so the port works for Direct tv box
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I don't know what else to tell you- you're saying two of the ports do not work, and one is saying it "does not support content". This tells me your Mainboard has failed as I described in my answer above.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, both ports are able to see and play the content from the cable before going to the content is not supported mode.... It is a perfect picture,,, and I can access all the menu screens, movies lists, recorded movie area ,,,ect just can't watch anything... so the ports are working but only for that cable box,,, which I just don't understand..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they even do the direct tv screen saver....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if press the " ok" after receiving the message from the box I can still bring up the tv guide although the box in the top corner which would normal show what was playing while I searched will be black, the list itself is perfect and if I access the menu everything in there works as if I could use the system....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay I guess you gave up on me... but I do thank you for trying
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry, it was late and I was logged off for the night at 1 a.m. I will need to opt out of the question at this point. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.