Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have moved from Singapore to Australia and the TV doesn't

Customer Question

I have moved from Singapore to Australia and the TV doesn't pick up the local broadcasts. How can I change the settings to Australia? I managed to do it for my LG TVs
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hello Les,

Your Sharp LC-39LE440M TV will work in Australia without any modification.

First, try auto-tuning it WITHOUT an antenna connected - this will erase all of the stored channels and help free up some memory.

Then, connect an antenna with a good strong signal and try auto-tuning the TV again.

If it still doesn't pick up any channels then it may require a stronger signal than the other TV sets - try fitting a signal booster and see if that helps...

Reply back and let me know how you get on!

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Pete but I already know that the frequency range is different in the two countries. I need to know if there is a way to specify the country or region.In the Service Menu, under Debug, there are a number of values. I am guessing one of these specifies that. I need to know which one it us and what value it should be set to.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

To specify the country or region, you will need to reset the TV to its factory settings and then you will be prompted to select the country during the "first time setup".

You should definitely NOT be changing any settings in the service menu! It is unnecessary and if you change any option in there it can irreversibly damage the TV.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already tried the First Time Installation. All it does is select the Onscreen Language and then goes into auto tuning mode, which, once again, finds no channels.The Init TV option from the service menu does exactly the same.I know the signal strength is fine because I used a different TV and did the auto tune process on that, using the same antenna point and it worked fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Different TVs have different tuners and not all will pick up on the same antenna.

Try using a signal booster to see if that helps you pick up any?

The other possibility is that the built-in digital tuner has failed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, Pete, it's not an antenna problem. As I've mentioned, I used a different TV on that same point and it was fine.As I have also mentioned, it was bought in Singapore and they operate in a different frequency range. I had to change the country settings for the LG TV that I also brought from Singspore.To work around this, as it seems there is no simple way to resolve, I have installed a set top box and the works fine.I suggest you close this record as unresolvable.