Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Why cant i get sound through HDMI connection from my Direct

Customer Question

Why cant i get sound through HDMI connection from my Direct TV receiver into my 52 inch Samsung TV. I have to use RCI cables to get sound
Category: TV
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can only get sound when i connect a RCI cable
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, You have to use RCA cables for the sound on this TV because the TV doesn't have a true "HDMI port"- it uses DVI which stands for "Digital Video Interface".

This port is compatible with the Video signal of HDMI (with the appropriate DVI adapter on the end of the cable), but as it's name implies- it is strictly a VIDEO port, it does not carry audio. That is why they have a separate set of RCA red and white jacks next to the DVI/HDMI port. All newer sets have done away with the DVI port nd use a specific HDMI port which carries both audio and video.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if you need further help once you're able to see my reply .

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Sorry it looks like my reply did not post here. Here it is again:

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had sound via HDMI port until the receiver was upgraded.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

There's no way- the TV doesn't have HDMI- it has HDMI/DVI. Check and tell me what the port is labeled on the TV where your receiver plugs in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You are correct it is HDMI/DVI
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay, and I'd like to go back and add to what I stated before. I just checked on this TV and the DVI/HDMI port can produce sound in some cases, but won't if the source device is DVI. So, can you tell me the following?

1) What's the Model Number off of the new DirecTv receiver?

2) Is this the EXACT same cabling (aside from the RCA cables) that was used with your last receiver?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is the exact cabling. Let me get the model # ***** you
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HR 44-500
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay, if your old receiver had sound using HDMI, and the new one (with exact same cabling) does NOT, then this is in the intimate settings of the DirecTv box causing this. Who set this up for you- did DirecTv set it up?

Also, has anyone tried to remove those RCA cables and perform a simple reboot of the box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
direct TV set it up
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please try a reboot as I indicated above and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Disconnect Direct TV?
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

REBOOT the box by first removing those RCA cables, and then unplugging the DirecTv box from POWER (the AC cord) for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Once it reboots check for sound. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's rebooting. It will take a few minutes
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

No problem. Simply reply back when it's done or the question is sent back to my que awaiting my reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The other issue is I have a Samsung DVD model # BD J5700. I watch Netflix through it. When I got the new receiver I could get the movie, but the sound from the TV would not switch off and go to Netflix sound
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
TV is back on.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay you didn't mention anything about the DVD player in your original question so we need to focus on the DirecTv box. The DVD should not in any way be related to the DirecTv box. Did the box finish rebooting? Is there still no sound? Did you tell the DTV technician that you had sound before without using those RCA cables? What was his/her response?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have sound but it is through the RCA cables which I did not have before the new receiver was out in
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I stated to remove those RCA cables, did you do that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He said it was a Samsung problem which made no sense to me.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Remove them before rebooting the DirecTv box was what was outlined in my instructions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did remove the cables
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay you just said you have sound but it is through the RCA cables, so I'm confused? They're disconnected, or connected? Or did you reconnect them? Please elaborate.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I reconnected them
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay none of this makes any sense so I will need to opt out as it doesn't seem like we're going to solve this. The question is now open for others to try and help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will redo it if you want me to