Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Pioneer PDP-LX508A standby light is flashing 7 times

Customer Question

Hi my Pioneer PDP-LX508A standby light is flashing 7 times after turning the power on the picture comes for a couple of seconds then switches off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: power on the tv, have picture for a few seconds to a few minutes then the picture/sound is gone and the standby light comes on flashing 7 times then a break then seven times again and again
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

Did this issue occur after a storm or power outage, etc.?

Also are you 100% sure it's 7 blinks and not 8 blinks?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know when you are able to see my reply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No power outage or storm. I am 100% certain that it is flashing 7 times
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. A 7 blink code indicates "Y Sus" failure, which is your Y Sustain board inside of the set. This board works alongside the X Sustain to produce the image on the Plasma display panel. These boards generate the most heat and are a very common failure point in these sets when they get older. I need to know, are you looking to try and repair this yourself? Or are you looking to see what it would cost and a link to a repair center?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Also, I wanted to follow up, in some cases the Vscan voltage produced on the power supply board can have dropped and be the cause of this error being triggered. To narrow it down with certainty, the power supply voltages should be checked using a meter inside of the set.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

You're generally looking at between $300-$450 parts and labor for this type of repair I'm afraid.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

You can try leaving the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes that the residual current drains and exacts a reset inside of the TV if you'd like, however I don't want to give false hope on this as the 7 blinks does point directly to the Y Sustain board. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am in Thailand. This is not much help. The diagnosis could be one of two issues, maybe. Thank you. I will give you a good rating. However I have nowhere to go to fix this issue yet.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry, but that is the best diagnosis anyone could give without being there to actually be inside of the set. I gave you direct from the service manual what the 7 blinks points, to, I also as a courtesy was letting you know to check the power supply voltages if you're planning on repairing this yourself. However if you want to go by the service manual then replace your Y Sus.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Aric. Thanks for your support. I will rate you if your diagnosis is correct upon replacement of this part.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Okay sounds good.