Richard, Technician
Experience:  Avid TV Technician
32989067

Vizio E371VL does not turn on with switch or remote.

Customer Question

vizio E371VL does not turn on with switch or remote. Otherwise works good. Mike
Category: TV
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried your proposal 2 times with no success. Should I try more? What next? Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, you said it does not turn on but otherwise good. What did you mean with that Mike?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Richard, I meant the TV was working good before it wouldn't turn on. Thus, it appears the only problem with the TV appears to be power activation. Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Mike

It is the internal power board that has faulted.

We have ruled out the other causes for this and this confirms it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is part number of power board? Why can't I replace it? Is soldering required? Can you recommend source? Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

The part number is ***** the sticker in your TV, so removing the power open it up and on the board connected to power cable you see it there.

You can do it yourself if your capable. No soldering required.

You can get the part here

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio/e371vl

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you sure it's the power board and not the mother board? Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

yes, as your getting no lights or power at all.

The mainboard you would at the least get LEDs on the front of it showing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When the power cord is plugged into the TV, "VIZIO" at the bottom of the TV lights up. It is the only indication there is power to the TV. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, if you do see power getting to the TV, then the power board is working and it confirms the mainboard as the issue with this. I was under the assumption sorry that no power was showing on the TV at all.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you 100% confident a mother board will solve the problem? If I install a new mother board costing $80, do you think it's worthwhile for this 4 1/2 year old TV to replace it? I like the TV size and picture quality. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

If you can do it yourself its worth it Mike and if your getting power to the TV, it is only leaving the motherboard at fault.

Weather its worth the cost is up to you. I personally do not considering Ultra HD is out now and the price of TV's is so low. But if it is worth it is your call.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Richard,i would like to wait on rating your support until after the new main board is installed and I know it is the solution, which should be in less than a week. Thanks.Mike
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

no problem Mike

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Richard,I installed a new main board resulting in successful power function and picture. One problem is the Vizio remote does not work with good batteries. The AT&T remote works except for power and volume control. I have to control power and volume with the Vizio switch controls. What do you think?