Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Well I have a 2013 Samsung pn64f8500 Plasma. It started

Customer Question

Hi Dan, Well I have a 2013 Samsung pn64f8500 Plasma. It started about 2 weeks ago and would shut down while running. Maybe a minute or 2 later would power back up. sometimes it would stay on for a few hours or times shut down again after 5 minutes and do the same. Now I have it in the basement, back is off checked all the capacitors visually and all look ok. Changed the Y Sustain board only because I had one and it power right on. Keep in mind it would not power on prior to that. Watched Netflix movie 3 days without and issue. Then popped in a blueray looked up into an HDMI played for 2 hours and shut down. Got it running again by disconnecting and plugging back in. Watch netfix again for 8 hours no issue, plugged into a different HDMI for a blue ***** ***** and 3 hours later lost power. Any suggestions??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It will go to a black screen, the power light on the front of the TV is not lit, to me meaning it really just didn't turn off, it just went dead.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. No power light at all generally indicates the power supply board has failed in the set, but in some cases it's the Mainboard. In order to test this you will need to remove the back of the set, and use a Multi-Meter to check the 5 volt line on the power board and see if it is present. If it's not- then you need to replace your power board. The Mainboard runs off of this voltage and produces the turn on command to the power supply. If that voltage is present it means the mainboard is not producing a consistent turn on command and would need to be replaced.

However if you don't have a multi-meter and/or are not comfortable measuring live voltages within the set, then your most likely culprit is going to be the power supply board here.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I just ordered a power supply board. I had already changed x-main board so I'm hoping this will work. My TV guy hear is getting me the board and if it don't work all I have to pay is a 15% re-stocking fee. hoping it will do the trick.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, again- that is the most likely culprit if there's no power light, no clicking, etc. But you need to test that 5 volt line to be 100% certain- this is what we have to do in the shop as well.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.