TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I am considering buying a new top of the line tv- I'm

Customer Question

I am considering buying a new top of the line tv- I'm deciding between OLED and the top Sony FALD /LCD.I saw an OLED upscale a Blu Ray in Best Buy and it looked awful- the motion was stuttery. I've had top quality plasmas for 10 years- are all the 4K sets going to look inferior with native HD content compared to a 1080P set? There won't be 4K content for years.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

If you're going OLED it's best to buy LG, because you have the ability to repair it practically anywhere in the US.

When it comes down to LCD, you should get the Samsung 4k 7000 series or higher. That's cost effective at $1500 for 50 - 55 inch range.

AND.... Samsung's 4K screens do give you a really NICE advantage with 1080 pictures. The color. Their 4k panels have the ability to sense colors better than the old 1080 panels did. You can get 3 different shades of purple on a 4k TV compared to 1 shade of purple on a 1080 TV. The moment I saw that... I was sold on 4K and Samsung.

And I am impressed with LG's Panels too.

I used to love Sony, thought they were the best. But then they got in bed with Sharp. The quality isn't there anymore. Don't care for the fact you need to download software from the service website each and every time I have to install a Sony or Sharp main board. That gets old fast.

Do yourself a favor.

Buy Samsung, or buy LG. As for that other TV stuttering...it probably needed to have it's MOTION control settings turned OFF. People doodle around with it in stores, used to be they'd just shift the tint and color. Now it's motion control and inputs.

If you have questions I'll be home this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. My question is, will an upscaled Bluray or DVD look as good on a 4K OLED or top of the line LCD as it does on a native 1080P set? It hasn't the two times I've seen them in stores. I'm used to plasma- will the LCD and OLED render cinematic motion as well? Also I don't want a curved set, I think Samsungs are all curved now?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Upscaled Blu ray signals...keep in mind they are upscaled. A 480P picture will never be improved by upscaling it to a higher resolution because there's only 480 worth of information. So I'm never impressed with upscaling anything. You'll see the blurriness no matter what resolution you set your Blu Ray to, but I do set mine to 1080 output only. The reason is I hate to wait for my Blu ray to switch from 1080 to 480. Takes a few seconds on my Cable box too. As for cinematic motion...the real deal is the TV really doesn't cause issues like that. It's really how you've got your cable box or Blu ray set to deliver the signal to the TV set. As a rule, I set ALL my boxes to ONLY output 1080, and let the boxes do the conversion. One time. Upscaling, then downscaling, then converting to 1080P - all this adds up to lag and conversion distortion and if you set your boxes to only output 1080, then it only converts ONCE.

Yeah, don't get a curved set...you have to get a big padded ottoman in your home to lay the TV face down to service them. Flat screens don't have that problem. And Samsung DOES sell flat screen TVs. Saw a 7000 series flat screen yesterday at Best Buy for $1500

Take a look at what's on Sale at Best Buy. The 2nd one in this comparison...that's the one I'd buy because of the NANO Crystal Technology, the unit is the same price as the 55 incher AND...it's a 7000 series. The others have benefits like 3D for the $1900 Samsung, and the LG....That price is so low it's good for the Kids to use. I'd want to see that one to compare the Panel quality to the Samsung TV set. It's probably a lower quality panel that compares to the Samsung's 5000 or 6000 series.

Here's that comparison --

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=3813039,4209600,4380074,4517500&productString=1219607579551*1219707310976*1219627836277*1219755712403&url=%2Fsite%2Ftvs%2F4k-ultra-hd-tvs%2Fpcmcat333800050003.c%3Fid%3Dpcmcat333800050003

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear you that a BluRay will never look as good on a 4K set as a 1080 P- I have a good Panasonic Plasma 60"- since there's effectively no 4K material, I'd just as soon keep it 3-4 more years until there is 4K material. Even then, I'll have to throw out my 100's of blurays and DVDS if I get a 4K set.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Keep the Blu rays, and low-def DVDs...although you may rarely watch the low-def DVDs...you bought it because you liked the movie enough to buy it. And TVs may presently surpass 1080/Bluray levels, but keep in mind that 4K improves color accuracy with Samsung Nano Crystal technology. Yes, there isn't a lot of 4k resolution out there right now, maybe in sports or "special movies", but it's been embraced by online websites and satellite systems right from the start.

Just keep looking for the flat screen special sales.