TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

You mention in the above that if the board are not screwed

Customer Question

you mention in the above that if the board are not screwed in that you will blow the boards. I have been trying to trouble shoot by replacing every board and nothing is working. I still get a 5 second blink on the logic board LED. I am worried that since noting is screwed in I have blown every board...
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 9 months ago.

Note what you've done.

1st, IF the YMAIN board was unscrewed and Powered on....that board is likely blown. If the Xmain was unscrewed, those do seem to survive better.

2nd, the RIBBON cable to the YMAIN...if that was disconnected and the TV powered up, the Ymain is destroyed too.

The Ymain is the most susceptible part of your TV set. It should always be screwed in and the ribbon cable must never be disconnected when powered up. The logic board's 5 second blink tells me that's the most likely issue you're dealing with. You see those buffer boards (single/dual buffer??) connected to the YMain? Did you also have those unscrewed/disconnected from the Ymain? BOTH should be connected to the Ymain when powered up if you have 2 of them. If one is connected, and the other isn't...it'll blow the connected one.

So, those are the absolute must-have rules regarding Samsung plasma TVs and testing them. If you've broken any of the above rules, you will need to replace the Ymain and the buffer boards to get the TV to come alive.

Questions? I'll be home this evening if you need more information.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had everything disconnected when I powered up. I am a total amateur and spend $125 on spare parts that I guess I just blew up. Lesson learned.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 9 months ago.

You had to apply power to the board when you turned it on for the above information to be true too. I guess you have to replace the boards that were unscrewed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I meant everything was unscrewed.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 9 months ago.

Alright, replace the Ymain and buffers connected to it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I run It with power disconnected to the y main I get 1 second blink. So does that mean the x board is ok? Also, even with a bad y main, should I get any picture? I am getting nothing - total black screen.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the X main is ok. No the Ymain /buffers are responsible for priming the panel so the picture appears on the TV panel.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can the ribbons get damaged when I was starting with boards unscrewed or the ribbons unattached?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 8 months ago.

I've never seen those go bad.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got a new Y main and both buffers. Hooked it all up. Made sure everything was screwed in and all ribbons attached. I plugged the TV in and the led light on the logic board blinked correctly (1 second) 2 or 3 times and then I heard a small pop and it went back to the 5 second blink. I am just about fed up with this project...
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 8 months ago.

"replace the Ymain and buffers connected to it."

Did you replace the buffers too?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All new.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 8 months ago.

That's not good. If they blew that fast, the ONLY thing that can eat those buffers and Ymain would have to be a short on the plasma panel.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I think I am done with this project...