Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a sony hd smart tv that i purchased about 6 months

Customer Question

i have a sony hd smart tv that i purchased about 6 months ago. It has recently started to blink and I'll see the input message come up on the top of the screen.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it will blink or the sound will go out for just a second and then it's fine for a minute or so and it will do it again.
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: the reason I purchased the tv was because a house in my neighborhood was hit by lightening and it fried the hdmi cable and where you plug it in on the old tv. I still have the same direct tv genie connected to the new tv. Also, some times it takes 2 or 3 times of turning the tv on and off for the tx's sound to come on. And sometimes the whole screen is a pinkish color picture until i turn the tv off and back on again
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the TV Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Could you tell me the model number of the tv?

Does this issue happen on all sources/inputs (dtv, dvd, game, apps, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I only have a Amazon Fire stick plugged in besides the genie box. Yes, it does do it then too.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a Sony KDL40R510C 40" 1080p60Hz LED Smart HDTV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Can I get the model number, please?

Initially, this would point to the beginning stages of a hardware problem (failing main board), similar to your old one.

Lets try updating the tv though before we jump to any conclusions: Go into the tv setup menu and look for the software/firmware update option and run that to make sure it has the latest software.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Actually, it's gotten worse since I updated just a few days ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Go ahead and check anyway, just to be safe.

Failing that, we'd go into the menu and do a full factory reset (clears all memory and settings, you have to reconfigure everything again after such as wifi).

And if that still doesn't help then we are looking at a hardware fault, though for a tv this new it would still be under warranty and sony would cover the repair costs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm at work, so I won't be able to do this until I get home.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

No problem, take your time, you can get back to me when you're ready, though there really isn't much else to tell you at this point. Either the update/reset help, or it goes in for service.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, I'll try that when I get home.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Did you need any more help with this?