Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I can't find where on my lg tv where to plug in the IR

Customer Question

Hi, I can't find where on my lg tv where to plug in the IR replicator.
I have the decorative frame and optical filter kit
With the mirror mounted it wont read the remote
However I can't find the jack on the tv so I can connect the IR replicator
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, The TV doesn't have a spot to plug an IR receiver/blaster system directly into it. In fact, I don't know of many TV's beyond Samsung that do. If you would, postback with the model number off of the back of the LG TV and I can search with certainty however.

In most cases, an actual powered IR repeater "System" is what's needed for installations like this. This system has an IR receiver that can be mounted virtually anywhere and it connects to a powered IR repeater box, which then has small receivers that can be placed directly over the IR sensor of the component you're trying to operate.

Such a system is at the link below for purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/IR-Repeater-System-Control-Theater/dp/B0016PM63W

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
42LG30
I purchased the TV and decorative display frame and optical kit awhile ago and it hung in my restaurant, we never had to hook up the IR replicator because we never used the volume
Now that I moved it to my home it's different and the direct TV remote won't control the volume which means trying to get behind the frame to the side if the TV to control volume. I bought the game and TV am together. Weird that they wouldn't be compatible
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oops... Bought TV & frame
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. Well with a model number, I can now look it up. Any part number, model, etc. for the frame? Just because they were bought together doesn't mean they were designed to work together? I need to look it up so I know what we're dealing with here.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Good news though. This TV does have a jack labeled "Remote Control IN" on the back of the set.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

You can see it clearly on page 2 of the specification sheet below (lower right hand corner of the 2nd page):

https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/pdf/42LG30_spec_sheet.pdf

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Found the jack
It won't fit
Is there an adapter?
Frame details:
Aristos' Chief Frame
Item- DFK42B
UPC: 841872097763
SERIAL: 0418
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Can't find any details on the frame except it's made by Chief- and discontinued. The TV's Remote Input is the standard 1/8" jack used by every IR system I've encountered. Not sure what Chief is using here. Can you post a picture of the connector? Or tell me what exactly you would need an adapter to do (go up a size, etc.)?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay, I'm looking at the manual for the Chief right now (found it), and your IR replicator doesn't plug into any port. You simply remove the adhesive and stick it over the TV's IR receiver.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Instructions are below. The frame has the IR receiver and it simply sends this signal optically to the stick on panel. The stick on panel sticks over the TV's infra-red sensor. It does not plug into anything. It literally sticks on using two sided tape that is already mounted on the panel.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/sanus-decorative-display-frame-and-optical-filter-manual-42436.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The adapter would accept the sensor plug that has the "sensor strip/lights" to read the remote because the frame blocks it
I looked up the kit you sent me and it's connector looks lit it would maybe work
The end of my connector is a "female" and so is the one on back of TV. The one in the kit you had me look at is a "male" Which is what it appears to need. I guess maybe good to just get that new kit? Not even use the one that came with the frame?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

So you're saying you only need a Male to Male? That's easy enough- an 1/8" to 1/8" stereo patch cable will work ad cab be purchased at Radio Shack, Best Buy or Wal Mart at the link below:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/6-ft-shielded-cable-1?variant=5717763845

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Lol
I need the back if the TV to be a " male"
The sensor end is a female
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Understood. You have a female on the TV and a female on the sensor. So, then why not use the cord I linked to above to connect them together??

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually looking at sensor plug end it looks "inverted" there is a little metal piece in the hole, which means that plug I looked up that u sent I don't think will work in the sensor plug hole
Looks I'm for back of TV ut not on the end of my sensor plug
What a pain!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oops
Looks like that plug u sent would go in to the tv hole but not sensor plug hole
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

The manual I pulled up and posted for your frame has nothing like that- in fact there's not even a plug on the sensor as it attaches directly to the frame?? Are you missing pieces here, or perhaps not seeing that the sensor plugs into the frame? I'm confused here....

Please send a photo of what you have.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Or perhaps the one I sent is a different model frame. I'm looking to see if I can find anything else on the frame you have....

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

No that was the correct manual I pulled up. The Infra Red panel thing plugs into the frame not the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

It plugs into the lower corner on the inside of the frame. Let me know if you are still not able to find this.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was afraid you were going to say that. It's a pain in the ass. Unfortunately I wasn't here this am when it was put up
It has to plug into TV otherwise there would b no way to communicate with signal because the frame only straps onto the front of the TV and when off looks like a mirror and when on projects thru mirror
It defeats the reason I bought it to strap the direct TV boxes at bottom of frame... Looks like shit and then tells everyone when it's off that it's a TV
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think I should just buy a new kit?
I'd hate to pull off the frame mirror to find there is no where on the TV to plug in sensor
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I don't think you understand how the frame works. The OUTSIDE of the frame HAS a built IN Infra Red lens.

You plug that IR piece INTO THE FRAME and the frame then COMMUNICATES to the lens.

The Lens mounts over the TV's IR sensor.

That is how this is set up.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

It's clearly outlined in those instructions I posted above. Did you read them and look at the setup? That was specifically WHY I posted them for you, so you could see how to set this up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nope
The cord is ALREADY feeding FROM the frame /mirror
Just pulled mirror
There is NOWHERE TO PLUG the end
Only place would be behind TV the. That would send whatever to the little strip of lights mounted in front of frame that reads the sensor on front of TV
CAN I PURCHASE JUST AN ADAPTER?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay, so your model mirror is completely different than the manual that comes with it? Alright....so that said, I guess it would be impossible for me to have any idea what you would need to do- since I've already stated how to connect this, and already asked a couple of times for a picture of the connector (to no avail). I guess at this point I will need to opt and and leave the question.