Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My television was fine last night. I fell asleep thirty

Customer Question

My television was fine last night. I fell asleep for about thirty minutes and when I woke up the screen was black and the red power light was flashing. The flashing will not stop until I unplug the unit. Every time I plug it back in the same thing happens. None of the manual controls on the television are working. I am a Direct TV customer, so even tried changing out my old HD receiver for a brand new one but the same thing keeps happening, even though the receiver seems to be working okay. There were no weather related issues when this happened. I have a surge protector and check all the cables, plug ins...everything seems fine.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, the blinking light on th set is not related to your DirecTv service in any way- it is an internal issue with the TV.

Please check the blinking light- it should be in a pattern- such as 7 blinks, pause, 7 blinks, etc.

Can you please let me know what you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 blinks, pause, 10 blinks and pause
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. The 10 blink code on the TV indicates a hardware failure unfortunately, with either the Mainboard or the Power Board within the set. This generally requires service to the TV.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried three times; it did not work. Still blinking 10 times after each pause
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that and unfortunately this is a hardware failure in the set- and there are no settings or adjustments that will fix this- it does require service. The 10 blink code is a general fault code- and could mean the Power Supply, the Mainboard, or in some cases the Sustain/Buffer boards have failed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

To repair this requires testing inside of the set by measuring voltages and narrowing down the problem board- then replacing it. The average cost for this type of repair is between $300-$400 parts and labor. All you can try on a user level is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes that it reboots.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you're a DIY type and are looking to attempt a DIY repair to the set, let me know what your experience is and I can try to assist you further.