Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung un55d8000 that was installed in December

Customer Question

I have a Samsung un55d8000 that was installed in December 2011. Intermittently the whole screen flickers, sometimes upon start other times after it has been on for a while. The problem may self correct or the screen may just go black. Other times, the splash screen "Samsung" comes up on start but the entire screen stays black. No particular pattern, again sometimes it self corrects, other times it doesn't. Repair or replace?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Those are the details I have.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, I did my part
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Does it happen on all sources?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. It appears Rusty has opted out but I will be glad to assist you.

If the issue happens on all sources, it's generally caused by a failing backlight circuit in the power supply board, which typically starts out as intermittent and gets worse until the backlights fail. This is a replaceable component in the set however, and if you perform the work yourself the part is around $100 (give or take).

That being said, just to make sure this is the issue, please try this test:

When the image is flickering grab the original Samsung remote and press MENU- we need to know if the TV's native MENU also flickers. If so, then this is the supply/inverter board- which is an average of $250 parts and labor at a shop (or a $100 board if you want to swap it yourself).

However if the MENU does NOT flicker- even when the picture behind it does, then you're looking at a bad Mainboard- about the same cost as the power supply/inverter.

Let me know, and also let me know if you're looking to repair this yourself or not and we can prcoeed.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?