Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Red and boxes on tv

Customer Question

Red and green boxes on tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems.

Can you please elucidate on these boxes?

Were you just watching TV, and the screen filled up with red and green boxes, or?

Also, what are you viewing from when these appeared (for example: Cable Box, etc.)?

If you grab the original Pioneer remote and press MENU, does the MENU display on the screen normally?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unhooked and rebooked it back up. The boxes are on for like 10 secs then the tv shuts off. The on and stand by lights blink on the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

They only appeared after you rebooted and reconnected it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay then I would strongly suggest unplugging the TV from power, then carefully disconnecting everything- and reconnecting the cables one at a time, making sure there are no bent pins on any of the cables, and they are all secure and tight. Then plug the TV back into power and try to turn it on. Those symptoms point to a System cable not being plugged in securely, or being damage when it was reconnected the first time. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok still doing it...the receiver box standby light is just on and not the on light
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

That's bad news and something is damaged, or not connected securely. You mentioned the Plasma display lights were alternating between red and blue- are they still doing that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Red and green. For as long as the tv is on they are on the screen.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

And you're referring to the Lights on the TV- not anything you're seeing on the actual screen right?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lights on the actual tv screen they are small boxes the red light is on the right side and the green is on the left.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I think we're talking about two different things here.

There are LITTLE LED's for Power on the TV, and there is the large screen where the picture shows.

Are you talking about the little LED's, or something you're seeing on the big screen where the picture normally is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The little led lights are both blinking red & green. And also on the big screen.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I understand. This means your Plasma display is not receiving proper communication from the Media Receiver. This can be caused by the two System cables having failed- either internally (bend or broken internal connection), or one of the pins on the cables being bent, pushed in, or not connected securely. Or when you removed power from the Media Receiver, once it was plugged back in, the surge of power being reconnected took out the capacitors in the box- this is a very common issue with these Media receivers once they get on in years.

The first step would be to carefully inspect those system cables, and test each end using a multi-meter, or simply replace those cables.

If the set still does not power up normally, then the Media Receiver box would indeed be in need of service, which is on average a $250 repair. There are 2 capacitors and a voltage regulator in this box that are prone to failure and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?