Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Sony model # KDL-40V5100 Cannot connect to Net Felix but can

Customer Question

Sony model # *****
Cannot connect to Net Felix but can on other TVs of other brands. Netflix said call you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What specific error code/message are you getting on the tv?
Are other apps working on the tv (youtube, hulu, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cannot connect. Try again later
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also Netflix work on 2 other brand tvsin our home
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Okay, go into the sony setup menu and look for the Software Update (firmware update) function and run that to make sure you have the latest version.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How? Turn off tv or where is the menu
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Use the menu button on the sony remote, this is the on screen setup menu, and there is an update function within the menu.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where's the update function. Don't see it
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
  1. Press the "Menu" button to access the TV Menu.
  2. Use the up/down arrow buttons to select the "Setup" icon.
  3. Use the left/right arrow buttons and then the up/down arrow buttons () to highlight the "Product Support" icon.
  4. Press the enter button to select the "Product Support" icon.
  5. If the Software Version listed is ER4.12-E327 or higher, your TV doesn't need this update.

If it is lower than that, then click DOWNLOAD NOW to run the update process

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok need to run update. How don't see a selection
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Then your system is too old and doesn't support automatic updates, you have to do it manually.

Download the file here: http://bit.ly/1oLcFb7 to your computer

uncompress the file, copy it to the root directory of an empty usb memory stick, insert that to the tv's service port on the back (with power turned off).

Turn the power to the tv on and wait for it to detect the update

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Note, however, that this is only updating the tv firmware.

How, specifically, are you getting access to your apps? Because your tv is not a "smart" model, and doesn't actually possess any ability to connect to the internet on its own.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You should know Nathan by the model number that this is a smart TV I'd like to refund
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Could you recheck the model number, because the model you provided is a 2009 model that is not a smart tv. If you have a different model to provide then we can go further with this, but the update I provided is based on the model you gave.

You've already paid your fee here to work with me and it is not something I can refund, I have no access to any billing issues.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

For your reference, here are the complete specs of the model number you provided, directly from the manufacturer: https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/KDL40V5100_mksp.pdf

This is a 2009 model, it is not a smart tv, they weren't even being made at that point. If yours were a smart tv, it would have an ethernet port on the back and it would be specifically stated in the specifications. You most likely have some other device connected to the tv - a roku, appletv, firetv, etc. If so, then the issue is with that device. I can still help you, but I need complete and accurate details from you about the equipment you're working with to be able to do so.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does have an Internet port and I have watched Netflix for over year on this tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I believe you, that may certainly be the case, but if it is, then you have a different model number than what you provided me initially.

Could you please look at the back of the tv again, and confirm the model number?

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Perhaps you have a KDL-40W5100 (note the W, not V)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You are wrong it is hooked upto internet and model # ***** *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

While I acknowledge the possibility, that is very unlikely. The model number you provided, with a V is not a smart tv, unless Sony and every seller and every review and product listing of that model is incorrect too. This is extremely important because if you tried to update the tv with the wrong firmware for your model, the tv would be damaged beyond repair.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model # ***** ***** and it is hooked up to Internet. Been on phone with ATT and they said I have a strong signal. On phone with Dish trying to resolve
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

If this is truly a tv issue, then dish has nothing at all to do with it, and neither does ATT, if your other apps are working as indicated.

This is a matter of the tv firmware, or an issue with some external streaming device, because as I've mentioned the model number you provided is not a smart tv. That doesn't mean it isn't capable of working with some other device that can access netflix though. You could even be getting netflix through your dish box potentially, but again that is a separate issue from the tv itself.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

If you'll send me a photo of the information placard on the back of the tv (model, serial, etc) I can verify what you need to properly update the tv.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need help with this, Dianne?